Spectre x360 gem cut (late 2018)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

The HP's display was calibrated using a Spyder5 Pro colorimeter. Calibration doesn't improve gamut, which is intrinsic to the hardware, but it does improve color accuracy and balance.

The HP doesn't look as good because it's lower gamut and lower brightness. Also, that darned glare, which really flares up under our bright recording lights. It's a nice enough display, but it's not as high end as the full Adobe RGB displays used on the Dell and ThinkPad 4K laptops.

dellaster likes this.
  2. MobileTechReview

It most certainly is not in the least anti-glare. Like all Spectre displays, it's very glossy with plenty of reflections, which I always grouse about in my reviews.

The best way to test for PWM is with an oscilloscope, which I don't have. I'd also ideally need a probe, though those can be made homebrew. So I leave that to Notebookcheck. I test the simple way: my eyeballs (I am admittedly not very sensitive to PWM unless it's low frequency), using the UFO test online, the waving pencil test at low brightness and best among these- our camera at a variety of shutter speeds.

dellaster likes this.
  3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Lisa,

1. I saw the vid- you mention ntrig for the 15 inch gem cut.
    Could you try out a surface pen with the device and tell us how it goes?

I have the pen from the surface pro 4 and surface book 2.

2. Do the buttons still work?

3. Ever tried modding the device to include a magnet somewhere to make the pen stick? Or is there an easier solutioln (USB insert with plastic pen loop)?

Thanks!

4. MobileTechReview

N-Trig pens are cross compatible as long as the machine has a laptop digitizer. Surface Pen and the latest gen Surface Pen both work. The side button defaults to a right click.

I would say that Lenovo's method- a plastic insert in the USB port that acts as a pen holder is a non-invasive way to go. I don't add magnets to laptops.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

And here's that NotebookCheck review. Spoiler: no PWM detected.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Sp...-2-TB-SSD-4K-Convertible-Review.413909.0.html

6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks!

Now that the new ipad mini is out, do you know of a pen loop that can be inserted into a smaller port?