Spectre x360 gem cut (late 2018)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

P. S. — Surfing the notebook/laptop forums for user experiences quickly reminds me of how fortunate we are to have this forum. They're so toxic with all the obnoxiously opinionated never-wrong people. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, I found Reddit to be the least offensive, at least in the sections I've viewed. There are some thoughtful, informative posts there such as the one linked above.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Redditors don't need to be offensive, they just downvote your post into oblivion.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    lovelaptops and dellaster like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I knew there was a reason I never post to Reddit - my posts would be downvoted in a New York second! Thanks to all of you for tolerating my verbosity!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Any owners of the 4k anti-glare display able to check for PWM? Looks like notebookcheck is asleep at the switch.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. dellaster

I, too, have been eagerly awaiting the detailed NotebookCheck.net review. I'd like to see how they handled the thermals and power consumption compared to others in its class.

A @MobileTechReview is also something I absolutely want to view before a potential purchase. Though now that HP announced the upcoming OLED version (hopefully with the 2050Ti, which is supposed to release to OEMs in March) I can understand Lisa waiting for that instead. I certainly am :D. Perhaps NotebookCheck.net is doing the same.

OLEDs have no PWM. :thumbsup: Oops, actually some do. My error.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. kurt corbin

"With an OLED, each sub-pixel is controlled individually and there is no backlight of course. An analog brightness control could be easy to implement - but with some OLED materials the emitted color changes with the voltage which makes this a bit more complicated to control....According to our information, Samsung uses PWM (actually in combination with an analog brightness control) in all its mobile AMOLED displays. Consumers that suffer from flicker have tested and found PWM on many of Samsung's AMOLEDs."

https://www.oled-info.com/pulse-width-modulation-pwm-oled-displays

Yep. We don't want to see this:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Unple...X1-Tablet-25-faster-than-i7-SKU.394986.0.html

Marty likes this.
  7. kurt corbin

Here's the AMOLED. According to Digital Trends it's 4k and paired with the i7-8565U, not the i7-8750H. :rolleyes: That's hard to believe.

Written review:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/hp-spectre-x360-15-amoled-review-cew-2019/

Another one:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/hp-spectre-x360-15

According to Trusted Reviews, the AMOLED is 4k and "every version will be run by an Intel Core i7 8750H." :rolleyes:

According to Engadget, the AMOLED should improve the battery life, and there will be an option for AMD graphics. :rolleyes:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/06/hp-spectre-x360-15-amoled-display/

I don't think the battery life will improve. It would if the AMOLED were IGZO based, but I don't think it will be.

AnandTech says HP has not disclosed the resolution. :rolleyes:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13768/hp-ces-2019-hp-spectre-x360-15-gets-amoled-display

How do these guys keep their jobs?

Can anybody tell whether it's glossy?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  8. kurt corbin

If you google Spectre x360 hoping to finally get an in-depth review of the late 2018 gem-cut by limiting the search to results posted in the last week, the first result is from techradar, posted 3 days ago. That date is also at the top of the review beside the reviewer's name, Jason Cipriani. After you get sucked into reading for a couple of minutes, you notice the specs for the reviewed model: 8550U. Scroll down a bit further and you see a pic of LAST YEAR'S MODEL. Scroll down to the bottom and you see that, except for an updated price, the review was actually written in February of 2018. Shame on you, techradar. You are FAKE NEWS. Unfortunately, you are one among many. All of you should be called out.

And by the way, shame on you, HP, because at your store website you have "New Design!" beside a picture of last year's model. So it turns out your marketing monkeys and techradar seem to be in on the same deception. Dear HP, I'm a shareholder. I know everybody does it, but this ain't the way to run a business.

The next result is from notebookcheck's external reviewers, Jagadisa Rajarathnam and Capuchino Saber, also dated 3 days ago. Dear notebookcheck. Have you read it? Don't you see the mistakes?

At least notebookcheck has a link to this one: It's in Czech, but it's worth translating. At the HP US store the 8750 it advertised as having a 4k anti-glare, but it looks like in Czechia they get it with a glossy.

Edit: No, it looks like HP is lying. Lisa reviewed the same 15.6" 4k, the one HP says is anti-glare. It isn't.

"The Max-Q graphics cards are usually topped up by a repaired cooling system, often with the top and bottom suction. Here, exceptionally, the cooling exhales do not work. The exhales point only to the sides and the cooling fans are moved further into the center of the notebook. Aspiration from the space above the keyboard does not flow directly into the fan, but passes through the body of the notebook....You will hear the cooling of this notebook. Fans are spinning even in light load, at maximum power you can hear higher frequencies in the cooling sound. It's still a quieter machine than a thin, slender notebook, but we also tested Max-Q laptops with more cool cooling sound."

Note to HP from kurt: Next time forget the stupid privacy switch and try incorporating a silo that doubles as an extra vent. If you have room for a switch make one that turns off touch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  9. dellaster

Lisa at @MobileTechReview has the 15" gem cut review up on YouTube:

Wow, the 4k screen looks bad next to the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and Thinkpad X1 Extreme. Sure, the gamut is lesser, but maybe it would improve with calibration?

(I'm no longer in the market since I went with a Hades Canyon NUC w/15.6" 4k FreeSync monitor together on a desktop arm. Which suits me better than using a 2-in-1 as a full-time desktop replacement.)

10. kurt corbin

Glossy? Then HP is telling a lie at their store:
    15.6" diagonal 4K IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160).

I think Dell has a patented technology for overcoming the 100W limit on usbc charging. So while the Dell charger might have worked, it probably wasn't able to deliver all 135 watts. That's probably why HP used the barrel port.

Why doesn't she measure the PWM frequency? One of the ways designers improve battery life is to use low PWM frequencies. They just hope the consumer can handle the headaches.