Spectre x360 gem cut (late 2018)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dellaster and Steve B like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It has the 1050 Ti Max-Q. This is a prime candidate to replace my Surface Book sometime next year—though a 512GB SSD would be fine for me.

That is, unless something with a better gaming ability-to-watt ratio comes out. A Turing successor to the MX150, perhaps? We'll see.

It's a shame that the Kaby Kake G + AMD Vega GPU combo looks to be a dead end. I wouldn't consider it anymore since they might not bother to update drivers for it in the future. :(

3. kurt corbin

The 15.6" has a barrel charging port. The 8750H gets a 135w charger, and the 8565U gets a 90w. I wonder whether HP's 90w usb-c charger would work.

"HP’s promising better cooling for the Spectre x360 15, with bigger dual fans, dual radiators, an (internal) IR thermal sensor, and up to three heat pipes. HP also says that it’s added a new 3-phase fan motor for more consistent fan speed control. Unfortunately you can’t turn off the fan entirely." --PC World

I wonder if the fan is always on, no matter what. I suppose "up to three heat pipes" means the 8750H gets 3, so I wonder what the 8565U gets.

The 8565U has hardware mitigation for Meltdown 3 and Foreshadow 5, but it is currently offered only pre-configured with a 4k display NOT described as anti-glare.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Fortunately you still can install & update the graphics drivers from Intel and AMD directly if thats your concern.
    HP didn't release a single update for the Vega graphics themselves since initial release...

On the previous generation you can disable the fan at low temps in the bios.

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

I'm thinking two or three years down the road when a new game comes out that doesn't run right. Are they going to add an update for an old GPU that they abandoned? I'm guessing not.

AMD already has problems on some games with their GPUs, including this one as Lisa @MobileTechReview showed in her review. If they abandon the collaboration with Intel and there's no successor I don't think they'll want to spend another dime or minute further on it. Unfortunately. :(

6. kurt corbin

My email to HP sales dept: What version is the HDMI port?
    Answer: Yes, it has HDMI. :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess an HDMI port is an HDMI port. The HDMI version must depend on the GPU. With the integrated 630, you'd have HDMI 1.4a, and with the gtx1050 or mx150, you'd have HDMI 2.0b.

I wonder whether the 630 is completely disabled.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    dellaster, stormi and ATIVQ like this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I wonder what the story is on the matte screen. Does it take pen input? Is it textured? I don’t need a super powerful machine, but I want a big one with pen input, and I want the pen to have tilt. And nice speakers. I want nice speakers too. :)

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

On the matter of better speakers, I've never been able to let go of the gospel according to Billy Joel:

"Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers
    You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers"

The key to the philosophy being:

"Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways
    It's still rock and roll to me"

As an aside - lol, the only serious thing I have to say - Just about the best sounding laptop I ever owned was a 2009 HP DV8 18.5" (1080p, Core i7-820QM quad core - first Core i7 ever - 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, nVidia GT 330M d-gpu - no igp; battery life - 37 minutes, price - $899 in 2009. It had it's own sub-woffer and 6 other drivers, all facing up from the top of the keyboard. About 5 watts total. It really didn't take advantage of the gargantuan form factor for audio resonance, as all the drivers were housed in a 1.25" strip above the keyboard, no deeper than 0.75". I know the thin/light craze makes this kind of sound "system" impossible, but on the high-end cpu/gpu 15" Spectre X360s, given how much better sound you can get from small audio drivers today I don't see why they can't do better with these "multimedia powerhouses."

I beg to differ w/Sir Joel; better speakers rule! Then again, I have a 2" BT cube that sounds might good and "kicks" out surprising bass!

thatcomicsguy and dstrauss like this.
  9. kurt corbin

10. dellaster

Yeah, it's not too bad. I read that a few weeks ago. I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more reviews, especially post-Christmas. Didn't Santa give anybody any of these?

This is still the FrontRunner candidate for replacing my Surface Book. But there's still CES in a week and a half. If something good shows up there I'll wait for it. Depending on how promising it looks.

On the other hand, if there's nothing really interesting coming up by summer and the reviews aren't all that good for this new Spectre, a blowout deal for a Dell XPS 9575 is still a possibility. It will run Skyrim just fine for me, and that's still the most demanding game I play. Though I just installed Dragon's Dogma and it's similar in requirements.

We'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018