Spectre x360 15 OLED (2020)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Do you have any links for this? Seems like a fascinating discussion, especially if they have any hardware/software architecture details to delve into.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It can in fact play HDR content. It seems to significantly tax the system though. Playing HDR content on Netflix had pretty significant hiccups that drove the audio out of sync occasionally. But it played and the picture quality improvement was very noticeable.

Also, @Marty, while in HDR mode I can now see all the black levels. In the test image.

The system really seems to struggle with HDR enabled though, and it is drawing a lot more power. Instead of burning ~8-12W during light use, it is more like 20-25W and the fans are always on (often loudly).

I definitely don't see myself enabling HDR often. Maybe if I'm stuck in a hotel room with headphones on and missing my LG OLED at home =P

Marty likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Mesosphere

Thanks for posting this, interesting about it stressing the CPU (apparently) especially when you consider its does have (albeit lower end) dedicated graphics which should easily handle HDR.

Related to that, Netflix has a mix of HDR10 + and Dolby content . Did you get any indication of which you got when you were watching? With Dolby for instance on my sons MSI, the Dolby symbol pops up in the upper right when it starts.

One last question if you don't mind and I'll shut up. DCI-P3 is another profile specifically optimized for HDR content, have you tried that?

Thanks again.

4. Mesosphere

On my TV the variant of HDR is displayed, but on my laptop, it just says HDR in Netflix. I don't see any mention of the specific HDR standard. In the stream stats it says it is using the hev1.1.6.L93.B0 codec (if that helps). I presume this is from the HVEC extension I had to download from the Microsoft store in able to make the HDR tags appear in Netflix.

desertlap likes this.
  5. desertlap

Thanks, yes very helpful. That's HDR10 + if if just displays "HDR"

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

It's pretty funny how you can get the maxed out GPU/CPU plus OLED with 256gb - all that beef - for basically the same price as the 256gb iPad Pro with pencil and magic keyboard. I'm not going to pull up benchmarks to see how the Apple CPU compares with that Intel i7 and GTX 1650 Ti, but you get the idea. Maybe it compares admirably, but you're still paying such top dollar for a selection of apps that need more features unless you opt to run Windows on occasion through a cloud PC. And by all accounts it seems like a very respectable keyboard, chassis, and trackpad on the HP in terms of materials, while the Magic Keyboard is somewhat questionable with its bubble-prone leather wrapping even though the keys and trackpad are apparently nice...

Hm...

Of course there are a lot of other factors at play, like how you're paying for a more robust support infrastructure (Apple and MS stores), but it will be ironic if I ended up migrating to this considering how close I was to getting the Spectre 13 last Winter. I don't think anybody who picked that up was disappointed. If there was a contest, it would probably deserve to win the TPC 2019 award.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  7. desertlap

I agree with you that if you go strictly on price, the comparison is striking. However, to use an automotive analogy, other than a small minority that either have more money than sense or just have to have the latest cool gadget, I can't see these two devices a competition for each other.

In our own customer base, the decisions around laptop versus tablet or portability versus performance are made early on in the decision process. In other words, it might come down in some cases to a 13 inch with better battery life or a 15 inch laptop with dedicated graphics, but even that its earlier in the process.

neongolden likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

After more experimentation, it seems like this was a spurious correlation rather than causal. Having it on HDR mode for normal non-HDR use doesn't seem to be very taxing. It must have been something else that caused the power drain.

9. desertlap

Thanks for that. As we deal with all the time with our customers, sadly it only takes one misbehaving app to skew a system.