Spectre x360 15 OLED (2020)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For the black level test I can see down to either 11 or 10.

However, I am now seeing a display problem. My screen keeps flickering. Like maybe once a minute on average I get a flicker for like one frame (much less than a second) =/

Marty likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd add one other question to @Marty . On the 2019 version in certain lighting such as strong sidelight, you could see what looked like a grid pattern which was the touch panel hardware.
    Not a deal breaker in any case, but a distraction for me, and one of those things that once you see it, you cant un-see it.
    Thanks!

Marty likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

I haven't been able to make myself see that =) Perhaps I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I tried lighting up my screen with a bright flashlight from the side. What is the approximate size of the grid elements?

The blinking off screen issue is severe though. I'm exchanging for a new unit.

4. desertlap

kind of like alternating copper and dark colored lines in a grid pattern

Not exact, but the best I can come up with

5. Mesosphere

I didn't do 75%, but here is 100%. Subjectively, I didn't have any problems reading outdoors, and I usually find it to be a problem for me with most screens that I've owned. The combination of brightness and anti-reflective properties were effective. I could still see reflection but not so much that they distracted me.

20200523_142157.jpg

desertlap and Marty like this.
  6. desertlap

Hard to tell for sure, but based on your pictures it looks like HP improved their anti-reflective coatings in this revision albeit it's still a glossy display.

@Mesosphere you don't happen to have access to a light meter by chance? I'm curious about the maximum NIT of the display as that was somewhat of a weakness of the 2019 model.

If you can measure it, the ideal test image is what photographers call an 18% gray card.

Regardless, thanks for posting that!

7. Mesosphere

I don't have a reference point to the older x360s, but so far I like the matte vs. glossy balance. Not too grainy not too reflective. Subjectively, the ease I experienced reading off of the display outdoors was better than what I think the picture suggests.

No, I don't have a light meter (is it difficult to maintain absolute calibration on those?). I gather that you do a lot of device testing in your work. Is checking the absolute display brightness one of those tests? How often do advertised NITs not live up to actual?

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. desertlap

We do because proper display of output data from our devices is critical.

As to the question about output, the answer is frequently vary quite a bit with a couple of significant qualifications.
    The first is that it varies with display type. OLED is considerably more variable in total output and frequently calibration as well compared to conventional LCD.

Second is manufacturing variations. That's due to high res displays in general being difficult to make and the higher the resolution, the smaller tolerances have to be.

Add on to that OLED is both newer tech and an order of magnitude more complex anyway due to the fact that every pixel is it's own light source whereas even with DLED tech the overall uniformity is much easier to control because the LEDS used are all of the same type.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

So I'm on my second x360 now. The display on this one doesn't keep winking at me. I think either the display winking on the other one was a symptom of another problem or it had other side effects associated with it because this second unit is much better. It resumes from sleep faster, and its performance seems much smoother.

...Also, it doesn't crush the blacks as much. I can see down to 4 on the black level squares (3 is indistinguishable from black). This doesn't seem to be dependent on the brightness level. At either 25% or 100% I can still see down to 4.

There is a caveat though. HP has a color control app:

upload_2020-5-30_20-13-56.png

On all modes except native, the black levels are much less visible. Only 20 and above are distinguishable from black.

Marty likes this.
  10. desertlap

@Mesosphere We probably wont get one here, unless a customer wants us to certify one, so thus I'm still asking questions.

I noticed this morning in their marketing materials that they refer to this display as "Ultra HD". That's actually significant if they are following the generally accepted practice which means that it supports at least one HDR standard such as HDR10 or Dolby Vision.

I know you have posted a bit about black levels, but have you tried any specifically HDR content on it? Note that typically operating in any true HDR mode will skew a lot of aspects of the display functionality so you wouldn't normally see it in with desktop apps