Spectre x360 15 OLED (2020)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So HP just gave the 15" Spectre the same slim bezel treatment that its little brother got last year:

[​IMG]

To go along with the slim frame are some very nice specs, including a return to the hexacore CPU and and GTX 50 Ti series graphics!

(NotebookCheck)
    "the system will be updated with the new hexa-core 15 W Comet Lake-U Core i7-10710U CPU and GeForce GTX 1650 Ti GPU to supplant last year's quad-core Core i7-10510U and GTX 1650 Max-Q."

(HP Press Release)
    "Experience Content: From the 90% screen-to-body ratio to the 4K OLED 15.6-inch display11 with DCI-P3 with a 30% wider color gamut range12, view true-to-life images and vibrant colors like never before.

Mobility: Experience nearly three times faster file transfer speeds with the latest Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (gig+) than Wi-Fi 513, and customize network prioritization and settings via Network Booster in HP Command Center.

Security: With six in 10 consumers physically covering their laptop’s webcam to feel more secure or prevent it from being compromised, the device features HP’s smallest IR camera at 2.2 mm. The HP Webcam Kill Switch, a dedicated mute mic button, fingerprint reader located on the keyboard deck, and Express VPN and LastPass to create and consume content whenever and wherever you want securely."

One interesting claim is the new "low-wattage OLED panel":

(DigitalTrends)
    "HP claims that the Spectre x360 will get up to 17 hours of battery life, which is insane if proven to be accurate, as the previous HP Spectre x360 (15-inch, OLED) lasted 7 hours and 46 minutes on a charge.

The company explained that it is using a low wattage OLED panel to account for the excess battery consumption from the 4K display. No worries, the actual display didn’t seem to be compromised when I saw it in person, as it was still plenty bright and colorful."

Any word from HP on this, @desertlap? I didn't even know OLED power could be tuned like this, or did DT just its info mixed up, and they are actually referring to the 2W 1080p IPS display?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wasn't aware of that either, I'll have to ping HP to be sure. I strongly suspect that they are reffering to the 1080p LCD panel though.

Sort of related, we should start seeing the first QLED displays in laptops this year. In tvs they are a good comprise between OLED and LCDs with better contrast and gamut than regular LCD and less power consumption than OLED. The first on the market I believe will be Samsungs Galaxy Flex

Marty likes this.
  3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

The GeForce MX250 will also be dropped in favor of what HP has called the "latest Nvidia graphics" that we think will likely be the next-gen GeForce MX series.

GeForce GTX 1650 Ti w/ 4 GB VRAM (Coffee Lake-H only)
    "Latest Nvidia Graphics" that we think will be the next-gen MX series (Comet Lake-U only)

notebookcheck

4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Annotation 2020-01-13 233816.jpg Looks like notebookcheck has their hands on a 2019 spectre 15 retrofitted with comet lake.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

How has the pen performance been on these HP x360s? Also, does anyone know when this is supposed to be released?

I've been considering replacing my Surface Book (first gen)...

6. Marty

<beep> <beep> <beep>

We're getting a message of unknown origin, possibly from somewhere in outerspace. We're picking it up from...the mesosphere? :confused:

How 'ya been? Long time no see. ;)

(Oh to answer your question, HP seems to be using lower-grade Elan N-Trig digitizers, that can exhibit high jitter and a moire effect. Hopefully they took feedback from the 2019 13" model and incorporated new digitizer.)

Mesosphere and JoeS like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Lol, yea, it might have been a year since my last post =P I've been good.... Just haven't been keeping up with the Tablet PC developments like I used to =)

So is the HP pen performance significantly worse than MS's N-trig? (for like note-taking use).

8. Mesosphere

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Indeed, last post February 28 2019. Incidentally the first words were. "Wow, I've fallen way down on the list!" Indeed you have, I'm almost catching up! :D Glad to see you're still around, even if only on an annual basis! :thumbsup:

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. Marty

I'm going by other people's comments, like Lisa's review, but it generally seems a definite step down from current gen Surface products, though still "good enough" for note-taking.

I'd say if you were ok with SP3-era N-trig, you should be fine.

(Still crossing my fingers for a digitizer upgrade to latest-gen MPP though. ;))

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Mesosphere likes this.