Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just can't believe BB regularly has the high end OLED model on sale for $1399. Still think this is the bargain of 2020.

2. dstrauss

I have found one problem with my use case - I like to fold the screen back over the base and leave it on my desk all day for note taking - yesterday it got warm and One Note repeatedly locked up (corrupted cache files) and wouldn't accept pen input. If I leave it on my desk open in regular config (or even with keyboard facing down on desk and screen up) it works perfectly and no lock ups. I've seen that from many different 2-in-1's I've used, so not unusual but still disappointing from a convenience factor.

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity was it warm in general or was it more so in a specific part of the unit?

4. dstrauss

Hmmm - didn't rally check - just generally warm and could here fans spinning a little more than normal. I have had this problem with almost every 2-in-1 device - they don't like leaving the base of the unit covered by the lid...in other words, tablet mode when connected to AC...for long stretches.

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dont go out of your way to do so, but if you do i'd be curious. This x360 has a reworked and reconfigured motherboard compared to last years (because of 11th gen chips) and I know that it's also common in the new XPS.

Job hazard , but need to keep my eye for any potential usage/environmental issues that might come up.

6. dstrauss

I may not be able to check it until next week, given today's schedule and the holiday...will let you know if I find anything more specific. Then again

7. dstrauss

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi dstrauss, thanks for your excellent posts. Based on them, I bought this device from Best Buy for $1,399. I'm getting battery life of only 6 hours of light email and web browsing with no downloads or videos, and 5.5 hours if 2 of them are on Zoom calls. This is less than I expected or hoped for.
    • Are you still getting 8 hours?
    • Is there anything other than Zoom that could be affecting battery life?
    • I wonder if I got a bad battery or unit and should ask for a replacement while I can?
    • I've also switched to Edge (from Internet Explorer or Firefox) as my firm recommends it. I see on Task Manager its power use occasionally rises to the "moderate" or "high" level. Could that be a significant factor?
    • Any other suggestions?
    Thank you!

P.S. - I find the keyboard lettering very faint compared to the pics and my old Fujitsu T904 which was bright white. On the HP Spectre, I'm tempted to turn on backlighting even in normal light conditions to create more contrast and readability. Would that affect battery life significantly? Thx

9. dstrauss

Well, hope I didn't steer you wrong - mine is set for balanced performance, and drops even a bit lower (on its own) if I'm not pounding away. Just not sure what to tell you, but you do have until 1/15/21 (at least I do here at mine) so keep plugging.

I do keep backlighting to 50% or less (in a dim lit room even that is too bright for my old eyes).

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The usual question: how long have you had the system? Early on there is lot of indexing and updating going on in the background which eat up battery. After a few days it should improve.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.