Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Happy Thanksgiving again, and now that all the tryptophan has worn off...

It's Saturday afternoon, and I'm sitting here with my x360-14 on my lap, watching some meaningless college football game, and reflecting on my Microsoft negativity I've opined about in various threads today, and I'm here to tell everyone THERE IS STILL HOPE. The x360-14, more specifically Windows 10 with an 11th gen EVO certified ultrabook, is THE ultrabook solution, and answer to MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13, that you are looking for. The rest of my comments are x360-14 specific, but I am certain they apply to comparable systems from Dell and Lenovo (where are you Surface?).
    1. Processor Power - let's get this out of the way first. M1 IS probably more powerful and battery efficient than even the i7-1165. That is not the whole story, as within the Win 10 Pro environment, it is the snappiest performance and most battery efficient processor in my experience. That's clearly anecdotal, but I don't get hung up on benchmark performance, and how the system feels and responds doing my productivity workload is what counts, right? Isn't it always about _______ (put your name here)?
    2. Design - again subjective, but x360-14 wins hands down. System color; diamond cuts; ports (more below); screen (again, more below); 90% screen to body ratio. Sorry Apple fans - the MBA and MBP are stodgy looking.
    3. Screen - I brought my x360-14 to BB and looked side by side with the M1 - my 3:2 OLED display kicks Apple butt (again subjective, and definitely do not have @desertlap 's excellent display eye). The 3:2 is so far superior to the Windows OEM standard 16:9 that if you do ANYTHING besides watch movies, you really owe yourself the screen real estate.
    4. Ports - no doubt here, HP wins hands down. Two full Thunderbolt 4 ports - not just USB-4 with Thunderbolt 3 - that's not huge but I still get to wink at the camera. Then we get a full size USB-A - thank you from the USB stick gods. Rounding out the ports is good old fashion headphone jack AND a mSDXC slot that the card fits nearly flush with the frame.
    5. Ram - a tie - up to 16gb.
    6. Storage - a tie - well not really - going from 1tb to 2tb is a big win for HP - a whopping $160 upgrade compared to Apple's insane $400. Now before you start whining about the vastly faster Apple SSD just STOP - where does that really tip the scales in every day use - are you searching 1TB databases all day?
    Now, for the rest (best part) of the story - what do you get that Apple won't even consider, which to this feeble mind are game changers for HP:
    1. Touch Screen - if you don't like touch, stop and skip to #2. For the rest of the world, touch is a wonderful additional input interface, from scrolling long pages to resizing images, even touch targets. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it, but Apple is being an ass by refusing to add it to the Macs (or unbelievably self-serving to force users to have to buy an iPad), especially while crowing so loudly about how you can run almost any iOS app, which are INHERENTLY touch.
    2. Pen -although the HP pen SUCKS, the system works well with a Surface Pen, and is acceptable with a Bamboo Ink. Again, Apple's refusal in this just forces you to the iPad. Edit, annotate, and sign away to your heart's content.
    3. 2-in-1 Screen - again, an incredible productivity boost. Is it a good tablet - NO. Can I fold it over and open a Chrome and OneNote side by side (or better top and bottom in portrait mode) and note away. Compare two versions of a Word document - again, you get t do what you want to try to do, not what Apple says you can do.
    4. Multiple Monitor Support - HP yes, Apple no. That would ordinarily be enough, but intrepid users have pushed the M1 to support multiple monitors - Apple's response is "that's not supposed to work, we'll fix that" - what do you want to bet that means we'll close that loophole?
    5. Windows Software Compatibility - just like I said I could always use Cloud PC to supplement Windows needs on an M1 with native Office for M1, more mix and match scrambling by the user. Why?
    So is Wintel losing the war to Apple ASi - probably - but I'd say we're only at the first battle, and Wintel, thanks to 11th gen EVO systems, has the upper hand for now. M1 is a masterful first salvo with much to come next summer, but we have some great systems on our side of the table as well.

PS - I did not address price, but I still think HP wins here at each SKU upgrade, AND you have unbelievable vendor discounts on the HP - thanks to @desertlap I got my near top specs (1tb vs 2tb) for an unbelievable $1299 - no Apple vendor could ever touch that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

@dstrauss, there’s certainly more to a device purchase decision than raw power and efficiency. I can see that the whole package of your Spectre suits your needs very well.

The same is true of my ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen2. For me, it beats the heck out the M1 Mac with its 15.6” AMOLED and unparalleled keyboard—the two things, output+input, that make or break a device for long sessions, work or play. It also has good ol’ legacy Windows plus GeForce dGPU for my gaming. Touch and AES 2.0 pen on a screen that goes flat are a bonus. The full sized SD card slot, so rare these days, is always a joy to have.

But I do think the new Macs are a wonderful advance for those for whom they are suitable.

desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

4. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Just out of curiosity, do you know if any of these performance prediction algorithms are low-level enough that they would make any sort of difference in a Linux setting as well or, alternatively, if there is decent driver support for Linux? Or would one just have a fancy small extra drive when using one of these devices on Linux, without any of the particular optimization benefits?

I keep wondering about this aspect, since all to often that kind of stuff used to be all aimed exclusively at Windows, but you only find out about that after a lot of digging.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We haven't tested it per se, other than to verify we could build a system with it (ubuntu).

There is support as you can see at the link below, but from what we've heard from our customers that have gone more in depth with it, the predictive and optimization algorithm is far more effective under Windows than Linux, at least among the more mainstream distributions.

Long story short. the customer in question determined that it was better to go with a standard midrange SSD such as Samsung's EVO line.

QSG Part 2 Provisioning with Intel® Optane™ PMEM - Linux*

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    franzander likes this.
  6. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot, that's helpful to know!

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I have joined the lovefest - just ordered the BB model @dstrauss has - got it for $1,349. Love this time of year when you have until mid-January for returns ;). No reason I will - other than the fact that I really don't "need" this, just gave in to craving for new tech and @dstrauss 's gushings.

Anyone interested in a great deal on a late 2019 version, 10th gen i7/8gb/512GB? It's great virtue (other than price) is that it is a much smaller form factor than the new 14" 3:2 model - about the size of an 11" MBAir. I paid $899 a year ago, still under wtty. Make me an offer!

dellaster, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  8. dstrauss

Congrats Jeff, and yes, gotta love that long return window; but you can see I'm even more effusive than my usual honeymoon techno-lust period. If HP would just license the AES tech from Lenovo for a garaged pen like the C940 series, this would be the best laptop around, regular or 2-in-1. As is, its at least 4.8 out of 5.0.

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Oh, forgot big question: is the camera the same old gar-bage, or is it any better - ie, for Zooms?

JoeS likes this.
  10. dstrauss

It seems a little better, but that could be prejudice. Frankly, the best built in webcam was the Surface Go 2 of all things. Regardless, it is better than the Mac webcams...:cool: