Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I get that on spades - but I have basically given up on EMR on tablets/laptops - MS screwed the pooch with Surface Pro 3 and there is no way to stem the tide of AES/N-Trig.

That's why my eye and ears on the look out for Galaxy Fold 3 - if they wuss out and go AES then game over.

2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for covering this so thoroughly @dstrauss. This is definitely on my radar because of the 3:2 aspect ratio. That said, one of the reasons I dislike my 2017 x360 is the pen for art. Based on your description, I'm not sure if I'd want to upgrade from mediocre to slightly less mediocre. But, N-Trig has improved over the years, so I'm curious how close HP is able to get this to the current Surface pen performance. I wish Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 had good performance w/ their Wacom AES, but their 10th gen model seemed to have even worse performance than N-Trig, so I'm not hopeful about their 11th gen version.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. dstrauss

If you are an artist I don’t think this will be any better. I am not, so for note taking it is acceptable, but I’m comes nowhere near the iPad Pro 11 (2018 - with Pencil 2) that I have, much less Samsung’s EMR in the Flex (not the Alpha) or even Samsung’s Android tablets. The nib and quality of inking is the best.

4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, nah I find it useful :p. I don't need a new laptop atm but for a next laptop I am seriously considering something like this or a surface pro-like (not Book) if they ever go towards 13.5 inch or bigger.

5. dstrauss

UPDATE: just learned it has dropped to $1299 (possibly today only-11/19)!

BEST DEAL EVER!

Thanks to our good friend @desertlap for finding the deal of the year on the top model Spectre x360-14 at Best Buy - $1399!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spe...ptane-nightfall-black/6428660.p?skuId=6428660

That's correct - $1399 for the newest i7 11th Gen EVO design, 14" 3000x2000 OLED, 16gb RAM, 1tb Optane (32gb), and all the other goodies (dual TB4, USB-A, mSDXC). In two weeks of using this beast, the only nit is the pathetic HP Tilt Pen. I was going to say it also only has Windows Home, but I knew that going in so it is not correctly a nit or complaint. The Surface Book 3 with same specs EXCEPT 10 gen i7, no OLED or TB3 ports, is $2699, and even a SG2 with 8gb/256gb, type cover, and pen will cost you $1109 (but does include Windows 10 Pro).

No, I don't own stock in nor work for HP or BB, but I just don't get how HP and BB are pulling this off. If you are up for a laptop renewal/upgrade, and like 2-in-1 design, I've never seen a better buy than this.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    dellaster and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

OK - I need to give context to my giddiness - I have been using computers FAR TOO LONG, and the first real laptop I ever had was a Toshiba T1100 Plus which I paid $1899 for a two floppy disk Toshiba 1100 Plus with reflective 80 character x 25 line gray LCD screen (CGA as I recall) running DOS 2.11. for those checking the way-back machine, that is $4352.79 in 2020 dollars...

Read this for a few Friday Eve DEEP LAUGHS:

https://books.google.com/books?id=aS8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PAp46#v=onepage&q&f=false

PS - the article is wrong - the Toshiba T1100 Plus was NOT backlit - it was reflective LCD only.

[​IMG]

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, that's freaking amazing. If I didn't already regularly use an X1Y3, an X1T3, a Galaxy Book2, an iPad Pro 10.5, a Sony DPT-RP1, and an X61T, I might even have jumped on it. :)

dellaster, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

Good lord @JoeS - I thought I had too much stuff in my kit bag!

I know I'll get laughed out of here, but now that the x360-14 is locked in, I am going to send the GB12 twins and the iPMini to eBay heaven...I am even considering keeping just the iPMini and letting the iPP11 (2018) go as well, but the latter has LTE...

JoeS likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks @JoeS I showed your hardware list to my wife and now I look positively restrained in comparison :D:p

dstrauss, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Uh oh.. when @dstrauss says you have a problem, you have a problem. :eek::D

dstrauss and dellaster like this.