Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I just want to mention here that there is a free app called GestureSign that also allows custom gestures (/combinations of finger swipes) to increase or decrease brightness. I should add though that I am not sure how well this works with LTSC Windows but it might be worth trying out and GestureSign is easy to setup.
    There are also apps like (free) PangoBright which allows you to make the screen darker than what is usually possible by placing a dark transparent layer over the whole screen (you can choose the transparency of this layer).

Marty likes this.
  2. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

As already noted, because Rachi's arms fly about without control, the touch function must be completely disabled. If I cannot get the API calls to work, I will add a page in her document, auto loaded if inactive for xx time, a black mask. As soon as she hits a head-operated switch or clicks with eye gaze, it would go back to the page she was at before the pseudo-sleep.

3. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

Having found solutions for Rachi's using the X360 mounted on her wheelchair I figure I owe you guys an update. With the keyboard inactive with the screen folded back, and not wanting to be repeatedly taking the computer off the chair to do anything, there were two problems I needed to solve:

(1) Turning the computer off, or putting it in hibernation or to sleep with the computer never actually inactive when her program is running normally requires using the power key - especially to turn it back on if we somehow managed to turn it "off". One can not come back from shutdown or hibernation without the power key, but ModernSleep a.k.a. ModernStandby a.k.a. S0 low power standby seemed a possibility as any key entry would wake it - and Rachi's head switches work via a USB keyboard chip. With some effort I managed to have her software put the machine into ModernSleep, BUT this did not work out at all, because it "tried" to wake up all on its own within a few minutes. I say "tried" because although the screen came live at the same place it had been when it went to sleep, the computer would not respond to her switches (or any other external keyboard), nor to the pen, nor to a mouse. Indeed, the only thing that could be done was to flip the screen over and hold the power switch long enough to force a cold restart. I presume that some inter-process communications of her software were triggering this false awakening, but it was never even recorded as a wake event in the event log so I didn't waste further time trying to track this down.

The solution to this impasse was remarkably simple. The computer can be set to go to sleep when the lid is closed, and that is sensed by a magnetic switch at the center of the keyboard near the row of F keys. I hinge-mounted a magnet there. Flipped up, it's seen as "lid closed" and the computer enters sleep and stays there. Flipped down, it's seen as "lid open" and it comes fully awake. It's no longer a bright nightlight in our living room and, once warm weather and COVID restrictions allow it, it can be put to sleep when Rachi's sunning herself at the seaside.

(2) Without the keyboard, the screen brightness keys are unavailable, and at least with Rachi's programs running the automatic ambient brightness adjustment does nothing visible. The gorgeous screen at 100% is too bright for indoors, yet turned down for indoors it's too dim for outside. I wasted a lot of time struggling to program calls to the Windows API display functions only to eventually learn that those functions are for DDC/CI compliant monitors and laptop screens are generally not such, but are controlled directly via the video controller. Intel makes their API available only to "partners", so I had to find a different solution. Searching, I came across a little firmware program "ScreenDim" which is actually an AutoHotkeys script that paints transparent overlays ranging from clear to near black on top of the screen. It was not too difficult to have Rachi's program access ScreenDim, so she can now go from her home pages in English, Italian (she's fluent in both), French (decent high school level skill, and German (primitive ability in German) to a simple page with 3 switch-responsive cells:
    upload_2021-4-20_21-44-44.jpeg
    Each click on the large sun increases brightness by 10%, each click on the small one dims it by 10%. Selecting the back arrow returns her to the page from whence she'd arrived.

These are not ideal solutions, actually rather crude, but they do work so I'm content as is Rachi.

WillAdams, desertlap and Marty like this.