Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Jeff, I don't know what to say right now. I've been using mine connected to AC for fear our power goes out. I did use it last Thursday for four hours that evening and had 40% left when put it on the charger, but was only using Chrome, Word, Outlook, OneNote (not active - background) and RingCentral. That would average out to 6.67 hours, in line with Lisa's findings.

Your results seem a bit subpar, but could you have a background tab among those 12 that was churning the battery? In fact, I would still think that Chrome itself was vampiring the battery.

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well first off, at 18% per hour, you indeed do arrive at a little over 5 hours, so at least the data is clear. The next question is "what is consuming all that battery". You could see how much the screen is doing by setting it to max brightness for a while until the battery drain stabilizes, and repeat it for the brightness very low. That will give you an estimate of the battery drain from the screen alone. Beyond that, you can inspect the task manager and sort processes by CPU use. Are there any processes that are particularly CPU intensive? If so, see if that's normal, or if there's a software setting that can improve that app's behavior.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this response is coming late, but I think new Tiger Lake Thinkpad X1s will be 16:10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/lenovo-x1-carbon-x1-yoga-ces-2021

On battery: I doubt this would apply to you, but I'll throw it out there in case it does. I have a 2017 Spectre x360, and the thing that roughly halved my battery life was turning off the option to let my laptop turn off the USB port as it needed under device mgr. I had some consistent disconnects to my USB dock, so I changed this setting. But, after I saw what it did to battery, I turned it back on.

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops
    Jeff, sorry for the delay in responding. We are getting the in 7 hour range on our test system on loan to us from HP.

My suspicion would be in to areas with a addendum.

First and most important, there has been a couple of firmware updates since the initial release and both have had fixes to the power management firmware.

So that being said, two possibilities: One is that you simply have a bum battery. It's rare now days but it does happen. We had a couple of Lenovo Yogas in for certification recently that were getting significantly below spec battery life. Turned out both had defective batteries (from the same OEM supplier) and once replaced actually exceeded performance specs from Lenovo,

Alternately, and what I would try first: HP firmware does go through a battery calibration process when you first start using them and additionally, they should recalibrate when there are firmware updates but we have seen where that goes awry.

The suggested fix to determine is that's the case is to disable all power management features in both windows and HP's own management and let the system run until it shuts itself down. You then should plug it it and let it get to full charge before using it , (Wait until the power LED turns white instead of yellow).You need to do this three consecutive times to force a recalibration.

You can of course use the computer while you are doing this and in fact it's recommended.

Last but not least, it's very important to use the supplied HP power adapter when you recharge the system as it is a "known good reference power source"

All of the above is annoying, but it's still a much faster route than sending it in to HP especially right now as all of them are experiencing as surge in repairs coupled with COVID related parts and labor shortages.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. I'll give the browser a try, but I kinda doubt that most reviewers were testing with Edge since the majority of their viewers likely use Chrome.
    Thank you very much! I will commence the recalibration. Never apologize - always worth a wait for your well informed judgment and advice!

6. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

7. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently bought a Spectre X360-14 OLED and am setting it up for my daughter to use on her wheelchair as her voice output communications device and general purpose PC. I noticed a strange thing today. If I try to vary screen brightness with the F2 and F3 keys the slider shows it going up and down, but the brightness doesn't change. My memory says that it screen brightness did go up and down properly in the past, so wonder what has gotten messed up and how to fix it.

8. dstrauss

I've experienced this as well and had to do a restart - for everything MS fixes in an update, the almost always break something. I have not found a fix except a restart.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

Strangely, today screen brightness is again working, and I hadn't done anything at all. I am running Win10 LTSC (which is build 1809) and, except for security updates, MS shouldn't be screwing around with this.

10. dstrauss

I'm on 20H2, Build 19042.867 - who knows anymore...