Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I concur 100% except for one thing - her comment that "It’s proof that you can have it all — for a price." With Best Buy cycling sales on this model, there's no reason to call it pricey - as I've told everyone, thanks to @desertlap's eagle eye, I got the highest end SKU for $1299, andit regularly hits $1399.

2. dstrauss

Our good friend Lisa (@MobileTechReview ) has a review up on the x360-14 as well.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, overall I would agree too (/factoring in the price a bit). As best besides the high prices I think there some better laptops in the business lines of brands (like that 13 inch HP Elite tablet).

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I agree completely. I really like, but can't say I adore, my BB hi-end x360 14 (i7/16/1TB Optane). The things I don't love:

1) Keyboard - great for an ultrabook but lousy compared to business class laptops
    2) Trackpad - agree with Verge, it's to resistant to clicks, not high end in this regard
    3) Upgradeability/maintainability/support - keep getting sucked in to better and better consumer laptops but question wisdom of accepting limitations.
    4) OLED/high res screen - was a no-choice option w/BB deal at $1,300 but just don't get much benefit in a 14" laptop and prefer to have 2+ hrs more batt life
    5) Oh, and one other thing: the only color available at BB (and HP for now) is this grey-brown/copper and it is wearing on me quite a bit. What seemed novel and edgy at first has become: I own a brown laptop with loud, shiny, large copper accents.

TL/DR; Maybe the best of this type of product but not best type of product for me.

desertlap, JoeS and tcassidy like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops Jeff I completely agree with you on the color. My wife has the previous generation with the 4K 16:9 screen and while she is overall very pleased with the unit, what was novel and different has become borderline annoying.

OTOH, she has a friend that bought a similar x360 after hearing my wife praise hers. However, he ended up purchasing what I believe HP calls Poseidon Blue and that color has held up much better.

Perhaps with the possible exception of genuine leather, the industry should have learned this lesson from MS about brown technology products

Attached Files:

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

Indeed. Btw, the BB deals on the 14 have been brown-only, and when I could still return mine (late Jan) I checked on hp.com for color change (and non-Optane SSD) and they only offered "garish brown" models. What I would like best, tho not even an option, would be poseidon blue with silver, not gold, accents.

Curious as to your thoughts on my other issues raised. For several hundred dollars more, I'm thinking HP Elitebook or ThinkPad X w/11th gen and FHD screen (even tho 16X9) might be a far better long term buy - better usability (keybd, trackpad, ports), flexibility, support, batt life (vs no-choice OLED/UHD batt "tax") and maintainability vs BB "deal model" I have.

Final thought: what an awesome tech environment we're living in when one can nitpick to death a truly outstanding piece of gear as my $1,300 x360 14 is - not to mention the insane price/performance of the $999 M1 MBA!

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the keyboard doesn't really bother me much. OTOH, I still think the business class Thinkpads still have the best keyboards hands down.

I've only briefly played with the latest Thinkpad X but if it's like previous generations the build quality is outstanding, though the feel "in hand" which I totally admit to being highly subjective is a notch below either the HP or dells latest XPS models , Balances and textures just don't feel quite as comfortable.

As to HP, specifically, if price wasn't an object, the Firefly is simply outstanding with a firmer feeling keybaord , great display, and just a level of fit and finish that is absolutely top tier.

But of course, at least for me, price is always a factor, and as I've told @dstrauss both the current model 13.5 and the previous 13 represent outstanding bang for the buck and are some of the best balanced offerings out there. e.g. not the absolute top spec in anyone regard, but in the upper echelons across the board and again bang for the buck

The one device that might make me reconsider is the latest Dell XPS models. They finally seemed to have solved their previous heat issues, and the keyboard, SSD, and WiFi performance are a bit better. I would't buy them at straight retail, but Dell is constantly having deals

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. dstrauss

I have hesitated entering this conversation because I highly respect both of your opinions. However, I still feel the x360-14 is the best bang for the buck for Windows users. As @desertlap pointed out, it's not heads up the best (but I would argue the OLED is) but a great blend of compromises in a 3 lb package at a great price.;)

@lovelaptops - for the record, the color is "Nightfall Black" and not "turd-muckily brown" and I like it...:p

WillAdams and lovelaptops like this.
  9. lovelaptops

Hmm, "turd-muckily brown," does have a nice ring to it.

Btw, agree the OLED screen is AWESOME, just of no benefit in my use case and huge battery penalty. Your sunrise photos did look awesome on it though. :D

dstrauss likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

HELP please. I am getting, at most, 5.5 hrs continual use of this laptop despite using it for very low-power tasks (see below.) I can't say whether this has worsened over the 30 days I've been using it, but I think it has. I use an excellent app, BatteryInfoView to track consumption - at 20 second intervals - and suffice to say that with the battery showing 101% of designed capacity, it is consuming power at the rate of 18%/hour when not in sleep or hibernate state. Lisa @MobileTechReview and many others found about 7 hours (14%/hr) was observed in tests and that more could be achieved with more conservative usage/settings which mine are already at. (The one question I have is: does 7 hours usage include periods of time when the device is sleeping? If so, my test would do worse because it includes only time "awake," though not always in active use.

Here are parameters of my use during three 30 minute tests conducted over 2 days' time:

Configuration: 17/16GB/1TB (Optane)/OLED (3k x 2k)

1) At most 12 Chrome tabs open
    2) Screen at ~40% brightness, about 120 nit
    3) MS Word, Excel and OneNote open
    4) Random short YouTube videos; No video conferencing during tests
    5) Windows battery setting: "Better Battery" (one click to the right of "Power Saver")
    6) HP System Control: "Smart Sense" (tried it at "Quiet" and it was a little worse!)

This is 2010 battery life! Of course, I would have ordered this with the FHD screen but the "deal" ($1,300) at BB was this configuration only.

Thoughts? Especially looking for comments from users i.e., @desertlap, @dstrauss, etc.

Thanks. (I would sell this but I think it's battery life suggests it has a problem!)