Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

dstrauss likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

@dstrauss Hope you and your wife are recovering well from COVID. I'm not even 40 yet, and 10 months from getting what was very likely COVID (there was no tests available when I got sick) I still have lingering lung issues... It sucks. Hope you two fair better.
    Hey, was there any update with your pen issues on this device? Just curious if those wrinkles got ironed out. It sounds like the verdict is that this is one of the best 2-1's out there, but if the pen is garbage to work with, it would be difficult to recommend it to anyone who needs a pen..

dstrauss likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts on COVID - nasty stuff...

With the Surface Pen the x360-14 is a good note taking device, but a bit unwieldy due to the size. The stock HP pen, despite be rechargeable, is to hard and slides all over the glass. Can't speak for drawing with the Surface Pen because I am worthless beyond stick figures. I still feel a strong need for a smaller more tablet like device for full time note taking.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My wife has the opportunity to have a laptop provided for her. She's been using the Surface Pro 6 for a few years and likes it, but she is doing a lot of video editing in Camtasia as part of her job now, and the SP6 is very much not suited for this task. The screen is too small, but it's CPU is also underpowered. Despite some gaming laptops that she could use in conjunction with her SP6, I'm also looking at the x360 15". Is it still a 15w cpu?

Is the 15" functionally different from the 14"? I looked things over, and I couldn't tell much besides screen size and dGPU. I recognize that the screen aspect ratio is different, but more lateral space on the 16:9 wouldn't be bad. The dedicated GPU wouldn't hurt either, although its not particularly important. Is there any reason for her not to get the 15 instead of the 14, if she doesn't care about the bigger chasis, weight, etc? Assuming she's not paying for it, price doesn't matter as well, as long as its under 1500$.

She likes pen input from time to time, and she likes the webcam in her SP6. Those are two other concerns. But from reading this thread, it seems like she can use a SP pen for better inking performance. What's the story on the webcam? It's honestly really pretty good on the SP6. It sucks on my Samsung Flex, so I've been concerned about webcam performance on other laptops too.

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Steve B It depends on which display in the 15. The 4k LCD model is thoroughly mediocre in all respects and is terrible calibration wise out of the box.

The 15 inch OLED is much better but is still not to the level of the 14 which is among the very best we've were tested. Albeit out of the box, the 14 inch colors are a bit oversaturated, but that is easy to fix even with the built in windows tools

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, considering she uses a pen, do note that the 15 inch versions are more unwieldy so it less intuitive to flip over de screen in tablet mode to draw on (not to mention its quite clumsy to draw on when you have it as a tablet on your lap eg in portrait and a pen in other the hand, coming from someone who owns a 15 inch x360 Envy, mx150 model).
    On the plus side I recently bough a Surface pro pen for it (2017 version I believe, the one with 1 flat side) and it draws well and the bluetooth functions all work as intended. Also while not intended by HP there are magnets near the 'lip' of screen where I can attach the pen on the outside and it sticks to it quite well (enough to stay attached if you use a sleeve, maybe not enough if you place the laptop loose in a bag). Pretty sure the Spectre has similar magnets.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Interesting comparison on 13.5" 3:2 vs 15.6" 16:9 - same height (good) and more horizontal space (even better) - but is there an 11th gen SKU of the 15.6" - that would be the key for me?

210131.jpg

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, 11th gen would be important since even though the current one is a high power variant (Intel H) it is not that much faster than the lower power 11th gen variant but does have noticeably lower battery life. Unless you can get a good price cut on it, than it is worth it I think (if you can live with the weight).

9. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the closest thing to this is the Envy 14. It's 16:10 w/ a GTX 1650, but it's not a 2-in-1. Would be cool if they make a 2-in-1 version later.

10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

JoeS and dstrauss like this.