Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

What Joe wrote. Best wishes for recovery.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@JoeS and @dellaster - thanks; so far few symptoms - no fever or pains, but 2020 is going out like a lion - my wife ended up in hospital for breathing problems-

TO ALL

Don’t feel safe with a negative test - she tested negative twice yesterday but was positive at ER. You start having symptoms treat it seriously and don’t just think it’s cold/flu because the COVID test was negative.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oof. That's tough, best wishes to you and your wife, let's hope for a better 2021.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to everyone! After leaving Surface Pro territory after many consequent years (literally bought all surface pro , from 1 to 7, except for pro X) and Surface book 1,2 i ended up researching a 2 in 1 convertible laptop.
    I have narrowed down 2 choices, because of one major selling point that i am fully interested in. 4K oled display!!!
    So, my question of choice is whether to buy Dell Spectre X360 14 (Oled 4K), which shall cost me approximately 1900 euro (grey import - i live and Greece and sadly only FHD option is being officially sold), or Asus Zenbook Flip S UX371, which will cost me (16/512 GB, 4K Oled) 1700 euro.
    So, Asus is 200 euro cheaper, an official import (more flexible warranty handling, if needed at future), and i expect to have a better battery life (67wh vs 52 in hp).
    Other than that, the best "Pros" in favor of HP is 3:2 format (contradiction to Asus 16:9) and smaller bezels.
    Regarding pen behavior, i expect more or less the same experience.
    Last, but not least, i find the lighter and thinner footprint of Asus as a benefit for it.
    Please, share your thoughts on that choice, i would be grateful if you could help me on this decision...
    Thank you in advance!

5. dstrauss

My prejudices are well documented in this thread as a Spectre x360-14 supporter. I have no frame of reference for ASUS quality or performance. However, your situation is unique: "...Asus is 200 euro cheaper, an official import (more flexible warranty handling, if needed at future)..." In years past, I have dabbled with imports that weren't locally available and always regretted not having warranty support. You are spending a significant amount of money, and that should weigh heavily in your decision. Paying a 12% premium for less support is asking a lot.

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, tough one. As dstrauss mentions warranty is something you really want to have on an expensive laptop. On the other hand a 13.3 inch laptop with a 16:9 screen can feel cramped (differs per person). The Asus is however lichter which is nice when using it as a tablet. The resolution makes more sense on the HP Spectre (on the Asus it is slightly overkill, wasting a bit more battery but you do get a bigger battery with the Asus...). I think I would go for the Asus but I would recommend trying out your programs/workflow on a 13.3 laptop first.

About Asus Zenbook quality, it should be fine. Zenbooks should be their more premium build laptops and in my experience Asus tends to build reliable (mid-range / high-end) laptops. Just be careful if you are going game on it. It is not a gaming laptops nor a workstation laptop, it might get hot if you're going to push continously. Should be fine for standard ultrabook usage and short bursts though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  7. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

dstrauss, daddyfish, thank you very much for you imminent responses.
    In fact, i have got tired of the old design of surface pro series (that's why i am abandoning MS boat, for now, as even pro 8 seems to be an innards update only) and that's the reason i opt for choosing a 2in1 solution.
    I am "afraid" my only realistic option is Asus UX371, due to the official import (and warranty), as you suggest also.
    Contradiction to that, i prefer hp spectre's screen ratio (it's much more preferrable for my usage scenarios - onenote taking, internet surfing, pdf annotation etc), but i believe i shall not risk the warranty unavailability and ~200 euro price difference.
    Another option seems to be Lenovo yoga 9i (11th gen cpu), but this option doesn't use oled screen and is 300 more than the Asus zenbook flip s (UX371).
    USA is the tablet pc heaven (pricewise and option-wise -eg 1300-1400 dollars for a 4k spectre 11th gen is virtually a steal) :):)

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

I have to say your decision is the right one; and the Spectre x360-14 is a STEAL (not on sale right now, but still a good deal at $1699 retail).

9. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes it is. Much more technology at this price comparing to any offer in the market.
    something out of dicussion. Galaxy fold 2 is on offer for 1300 euro in amazon.de - any european citizens shall have some hours to grab one (before the offer expires). I am currently resisting to grab one, athough this foldable is very very tempting . I have just sold note 20 ultra, to buy new s21 ultra.... Lets see...

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, hi, yeah imo the Yoga 9i is not worth it in this case. Maybe you can get some other source of warranty for the Spectre? (eg maybe 3 years if it would not cost too much?).
    A few free tips in case you have no or limited warranty: In my personal experience the main issue (but easy to prevent) with many 2-1 laptops is that the rubbers on the keyboard deck eventually deteriorate allowing the metal deck to push on the screen after ~2-3 years. To prevent this, I personally always place some extra rubbers (or something else that is soft but still dense) on the deck at the same places (/so pressure is still spread). Also make sure the SSD is replaceable, not a big chance it will get damaged but it is always a small gamble with computers in general and SSD faults are more often than RAM or Motherboard faults.