Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Post-Christmas Update:

Getting ready to start my new practice next week, so I spent Sunday afternoon working from home on the VPN triaging years of old email and files from the office server and cloud service, watching football (nice corner window on the big screen). I guess excluding breaks and meals, a good seven hours on battery with more than 20% left. That, of course, is not heavy lifting by any means.

After nearly 7 weeks, my only reservation is still note taking. The Surface Pen makes things much more usable, but still can't rely on leaving it in draw mode all day while doing regular work, so that necessitates having another note taking solution. Going to keep working on that including ramping up active cooling to see if it helps.

All in all it is my 2020 tech jewel and is here to stay. However, I am returning the second unit I bought (unopened) because my wife is considering the Mac life - imagine that. Guess who's going to be jealous. Plus, for now, she just doesn't want any more change in her PC life - like me she HATES Windows 10 changes that do nothing but mess with the interface for improvements we don't want...

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Me three. Words cannot describe how much I loath Windows 10 changes for the sake of change w/copious screwups to make life more onerous. :mad: Oh how I miss optional Service Packs every couple of years. Sigh.

Best of luck with the new practice, Dale!

dstrauss likes this.
  3. dstrauss

Thanks Ted.

One time I begged old Thurrott to ask MS to make five year versions of Windows and Office - NO FEATURE CHANGES, just security patches, and I'd pay full subscription price for the five years - he told me I was an idiot for even asking...

dellaster likes this.
  4. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

Me too. When I next change computers I will be installing Windows 10 LTSC. Have you considered that?
    MICROSOFT:
    The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) is designed for Windows 10 devices and use cases where the key requirement is that functionality and features don’t change over time. Examples include medical systems (such as those used for MRI and CAT scans), industrial process controllers, and air traffic control devices. These devices share characteristics of embedded systems: they are typically designed for a specific purpose and are developed, tested, and certified before use. They are treated as a whole system and are, therefore, commonly “upgraded” by building and validating a new system, turning off the old device, and replacing it with the new, certified device.

We designed the LTSC with these types of use cases in mind, offering the promise that we will support each LTSC release for 10 years--and that features, and functionality will not change over the course of that 10-year lifecycle.​

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

Thanks - never heard of that before and will check it out.

6. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I’ve heard of it, but also heard that mere mortals are not allowed to obtain and install the Enterprise-only Long-Term version of Windows 10. I’d love to learn otherwise.

The blurb from a search on LTSC Windows 10: “The LTSC edition of Windows 10 provides customers with access to a deployment option for their special-purpose devices and environments. These devices typically perform a single important task and don't need feature updates as frequently as other devices in the organization.”

Funny, I’ve never owned a Windows device that needed feature updates. In fact, my Fujitsu Q584 upgraded from Win10 to Win8.1 functions wonderfully better, in my opinion. Such a shame it’s not possible to similarly upgrade my other devices. :(

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

The drawback iirc is that with LTSC you cannot use MS Edge and the Store etc and stuff that uses this stuff. Maybe even not build in OneDrive? I do remember reading you can install some of these things but not sure if that is without issues.

What I personally would suggest with W10 is just delay feature updates a month or more (it is easier now). If you want / need more control (read your laptop manufacturer is one lazy ass with driver updates); you can use metered network/wifi or OhShutUp10 for more control / manual updates. I use metered network for some pc's. Just keep an eye on security / small updates.

In general I would not advise delaying small / security updates , while feature updates can easily be delayed for a few months.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Good luck with it.

9. dstrauss

Thanks old buddy - will be a slow start, unfortunately, because the COVID bug struck just two days short of a clean 2021. No symptoms yet, but on the quarantine clock for now...

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh no, you got a positive test result? Hoping for a speedy symptom free recovery!