Spectre x360 14 OLED 3:2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The master thread starter doesn't start one for this gem? :p

[​IMG]

Specs, courtesy of WindowsCentral:

OS
    Windows 10 Home
    Display
    13.5 in, 3:2 aspect ratio
    3000 x 2000 OLED, multi-touch
    Anti-reflection
    Corning Gorilla Glass NBT
    400 nits, 100% DCI-P3; 1,000,000:1
    Processor
    11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 (quad-core)
    Graphics
    Intel Iris Xe
    Memory
    16GB LPDDR4-3200
    Storage
    1TB SSD and 32GB Intel Optane
    Pen
    HP Rechargeable MPP2.0 Tilt Pen in nightfall black (included)
    Expandable storage
    MicroSD reader
    Front camera
    HP TrueVision 720P HD IR camera
    Security
    Windows Hello IR, fingerprint
    Connectivity
    Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5
    Ports
    Two Type-C with Thunderbolt 4
    One USB 3.1 Type-A
    MicroSD reader
    Audio
    Bang & Olufsen with quad speakers
    Battery
    66WHr
    65W Type-C AC adapter
    Dimensions
    11.75 in (W) x 8.67 in (D) x 0.67 in (H)
    Weight
    3.00lbs
    1.36kg
    Colors
    Dark Ash, Poseidon Blue, or Silver

Hopefully the quality of Elan digitizer is better than last iteration (and without the distracting screen-door effect), but we've got the familiar 'gem-cut' design with novel 45-degree charging port:
    [​IMG]
    Now with Thunderbolt 4 (DMA protection and doubled minimum video and PCIe bandwidth over TB3), and more importantly...

3:2 OLED returns!

This means Samsung is again producing these panels after the untimely death of the Galaxy Book 12", which opens the possibility for other OEMs to hop onboard the 3:2 hype train! (C'mon Lenovo...)

Now if Samsung would only use their own panels for an EMR Galaxy Book refresh. :newpalm:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not to mention the XE graphics which give a substantial performance bump and TB4! Cant wait to get my hands on one

3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I really love the wave of taller aspect ratio recently (ex: XPS 13 and X1 Nano). I would be ecstatic if Samsung followed the same trend. Hopefully the Flex 5G was just a stop gap and there's a 3:2 or 16:10 lightweight 15" w/ EMR coming.

JoeS likes this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. desertlap

We think but aren't 100% certain that it's actually an LG panel. Hoping to get clarification from HP but haven't yet

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here's a couple of impressive reviews - I generally trust Gordon over at PCWorld on new tech - another winner for HP:

PC World

Gordon reports the x360 14 will have improved AI support - e.g. it will sense when it is in your bag and shut down systems to prevent overheating - something that Windows 10 2004 STILL allows to happen on occasion...

Windows Central

Daniel raves about form factor: "I have been arguing for 3:2 and 16:10 aspects for over two years because it is not just the better display. As a result of the screen being taller, the keyboard deck also gets taller giving more space to rest your wrists and letting HP put in a larger, Precision TouchPad – which they did. The new trackpad is now 16.6 percent larger than the Spectre x360 13, making it more enjoyable to use."

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. desertlap

So it looks like HP is back to their old bad way,with specs??? from PC world.

"The laptop features a combination microSD reader that can also double as a Nano-SIM holder. If you’re wondering why a laptop that doesn’t list 4G or 5G support has the capability to support a Nano-SIM, so are we."

I haven't seen anything that even implies cellular..... yet. OTOH the 11th gen intel chips allegedly fix a pain point with supporting caller which was interference between the intel chip set and the usually Qualcomm based modem.

8. dstrauss

That mSDXC slot appears to be the same spring loaded slot of the current model - how would that even work for nano-SIM? Not to mention HP's own site labeling what appears to be a headphone jack as a power input barrel...:rolleyes:

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks like a winner, pending real reviews (not superficial trendy unboxings). Do you have one coming, Lisa @MobileTechReview? :D

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

It is hard to read these "pre-reviews" based upon HP's pressers and evaluation of spec sheets (especially with the errors in HP's spec sheets - a routine occurrence if you are a long time HP follower). For example, look how HP labels the speaker jack on the new 14 -

HPx360-14.jpg

dellaster likes this.