Specs for HP EliteBook 2760p is out - still holding at 1280x800

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by AmbiDextrose, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Folks,

The specs of the upcoming HP EliteBook 2760p has been posted (please see link below). According to the released information, it will keep it's (16:10) 1280x800 screen resolution. A bummer since there was speculation that the new 2760p might come with a 1440x900 screen.

Oh well, I guess it's now a toss-up between Lenovo's X220t and HP's 2760p although I'm leaning slightly more towards HP because of the 16:10 screen aspect ratio.

Official HP EliteBook 2760p spec sheet

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a let down...

this has got me confused
    since when has there been a 7200rpm 1.8" SATA hdd? unless I missed some ground breaking tech, I think it is a typo... or are the internals really that much smaller they can fit a 2.5" (7mm?) HDD in there?

If the 2760p holds its backwards compatibility with the line's accessories and such, I am going to have to seriously consider getting a used/ refurbished one in a year or more (the apparently far better/ efficient processor; and once Nvidia gets its newer Optimus driver released, a DIY ViDock will be able to display on the internal screen by going through the GMA 3000 -this is huge because Sandy Bridge notebooks have Expresscard 2.0 slots that have double bandwidth, so that plus the better CPU means a totally kick ass system with the DIY ViDock)

3. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, doesn't seem like a very big upgrade other than the 7200rpm hard drive. I wonder if they switched to 2.5"? I'm sure they could rearrange some things in there to get it down as this isn't exactly a very thin laptop. That would be great if they did!

The new Sandy Bridge processors and chipsets are much more efficient though, so battery life should hopefully be much better.

I'm disappointed that there STILL isn't a digital video connector other than on the dock. No DP or HDMI.
    It looks like it is going to be compatible with the current accessories, which makes me happy. That's 4 generations compatible!

Overall it's an alright upgrade, but I don't think I'll be switching from my 2740p unless it comes really cheap refurbished. An SSD and 8GB of RAM would probably be more noticeable than upgrading to the equivalent 2760p, and probably cheaper, too.

4. cnofzz

cnofzz Pen Pal - Newbie

interesting. these updates arent enough for me looks like Ill be buying a 2740p when they go on clearance

5. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

It will be a competitive race between the Lenovo and this. I hope the touch is as responsive as the Asus EP 121.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think the x220T will leave this Elitebook in the dust, even with its 16:9 aspect ratio. The Thinkpad will give you equal or better performance for less money. At this point, the Lenovo may also have the better display. They are selling quite a few ATM.

One of my biggest gripes about my HP slate is its 16:9 ratio. Needs to be 4:3 or at least 16/10. So, if I was buying a vert/slate, I would probably pick the 2760p over the X220T because of the display.

Guess I'll wait to see what ivy bridge will bring. Nothing to see here, move along.

Bronsky:cool:

7. peterf

I agree. The last generation (2740p vs x201t) they were about even. Refurbished HPs could be had really cheap, though, so that's why I went with my 2740p.

The new ones the Lenovo wins hands down. 2.5" drive plus the option of an mSATA SSD, so you can have both a large hard drive and a fast, small, decently priced SSD for booting and applications. It's also looking like it will be far cheaper, unless HP drops their prices a lot, too. The battery life on the Lenovo is just amazing, we'll see if HP was able to optimize it that much, too.

8. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

You folks that are considering a Lenovo, please keep in mind that they come LOADED with Lenovo Specific software. So annoying if nothing else.

9. peterf

My 2740p has a ton of HP software, too. What's your point?

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Coupla quick points:

1. The link to specs is dead
    2. HP changed screen options (but not resolution) several times during 2740 year
    3) If they have gone to 2.5" HD/SD, that's a major, major improvement and leads the HP much closer to parity
    4. Battery life/options yet to be seen, but HP has some good new tech and SB give it a 25% - 33% boost w/no new batt tech
    5. The best BOE Hydis AFFS+ screen on the 2740 would be my unequivocal choice over the x220's 13X7 IPS (both technologies have excellent viewing angles) unless the color gamut on the Lenovo just blows the Hydis out of the water, which I don't think likely
    6. HP's discount policies are quite fungible - went from 12% to 28% over course of past year. Lenovo's prices on the X220T - vs. X220 - are much higher than early promo led us to believe - $2,000 + the way you want it, and can't get some of the best X220 options
    7. Personally, I strongly preferred the design of the 2740 over the Thinkpad X-201, and I'm sure the main differences are carried over

8. If no digital video/audio out on the HP is confirmed, that may or may not be a deal breaker, but it is INSANE - what are they thinking????

Sounds like I'm recommending the HP over the Lenovo? Aren't I the guy who tried every Tablet PC last year and decided the HP was the unequivocal winner? Well, the answers are: NO NO NO (recommendation now) and, well, yes, I did pick the HP last year. I'm just pointing out that the x220 hype and the lack of any promotion of the 2760 yet mask the fact that they are much closer to parity than even my esteemed colleague Bronsky implies. Not to sound like Consumer Reports, but due to HP's recent huge degredation in customer support and overall integrity, I personally consider HP's business products to be UNACCEPTABLE. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015