Specific questions about the T4010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozone

Ozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi... I'm hoping some current Fujitsu T4010 owners can help me out with some specifics:

1. What is the keyboard quality like? I've been spoiled by my old IBM X31.
    2. Does anybody have a the optional 1400 by 1050 SXGA resolution? If so, how do you like it (comfortable to work with) and is it possible to send me a screen shot?
    3. Is the unit a bit on the heavy side? At 4.5 lbs with the optical drive, I'm wondering if it's pushing the limit of true portability.
    4. Is the unit easy to hold? I recall another review indicating that there were no 'grips' anywhere and that the unit itself is rather slick feeling.
    5. I recall reading somewhere that Fujitsu includes a display utility that will automatically detect and size the video display to an external monitor. Could the unit automatically pump out the video to a, say, 20" widescreen LCD? It would be preferable to not have to mess around with display settings everytime the unit is docked.

I'm trying to decide between smaller sized convertible tablets. An internal optical drive is attractive but not essential to me, and I must confess that even though I have the budget for the new X41 tablet, it is very expensive with all the accesories.

Thanks so much.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't own one, but I've used one casually and have owned Fujitsu notebooks for 3 years. I'll toss in a few comments and leave the details for those who own this tablet.

1) The keyboard is above average, but not IBM quality. The entire machine is well built though and quite solid.
    3) 4.5 is approaching "heavy" which I declare is 5 pounds. I carry a 3.5 pound notebook all day and think another pound would be do-able for most people, though I would prefer an even lighter machine. It really depends on your preference though and how much you carry it.
    4) I assume you mean in its converted state. I'll leave this for owners.
    5) I don't remember anything automatic, but then again, I don't ever remember specifying a resolution for my external monitor either. It can go up to 1600x1200, so anything less than that should be fine. And no, you don't have to specify the resolution every time you plug in. The resolution of that monitor might be outside the supported range though.

Honestly, if I were in your spot, I'd find it hard to pass up the tc4200.

3. Ozone

Ozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Brian... appreciate it. I'm curious... I was on the Fujitsu forum earlier and it seems there is a lot of praise for the Fujitsu tablet. What is it about the TC4200 that impresses you particularly?

4. Brian

The thing that impresses most is the build quality. That's one reason I've been with them so long. It's just a well made machine that doesn't need to be serviced. Couple that with good service and you have a nice package. Fujitsu offers online chat support and phone support that usually answers in a few minutes...with someone that can solve your problem.

5. Ozone

Ozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry Brian... I think I missed the gist of your reply. When you say you've been with 'them' for a long time and their build quality, are you referring to HP or Fujitsu? I'm new to the forum, so I don't really know what long time forum members are partial to. Thanks again.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ozone,

Brian has been on the Fujitsu bandwagon for the last 3 years, so I think he is specifically reffering to that brand, not HP.

7. Brian

Yeah, I set that up in my second post, but this has been going for a few days, so easy to forget.

8. centaur8

centaur8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ozone,

I've had a 4010 for a little over a month now and still am very happy with the purchase.

Keyboard quality is very good (IMO). Better feel and sizing that several other laptops that I've used.

Weight at 4.5lbs is not ideal, but I've had no issues with portability. It took a couple weeks to get used to holding and using in tablet mode, but this has passed. I take it just about everywhere. Regarding portability....I will say that I've just about ditched hauling around the Superdrive in favor of the modular battery. This makes a big difference in battery life you are away from a plug for extended periods. For the future I would definately not be as fearful of looking at units that did not include the optical drive. It was great having this while getting things up and running, but I've used it sparingly since. From this experience, I would suggest taking a hard look at your usage regarding the necessity of an optical drive.

I went with the regular screen, not the SXGA. I do use the extra dock with an external monitor. This works well if you want to use higher resolutions on an external monitor. Regarding 'automatically' configuring for an external monitor...usually it remembers resolution settings...occasionally it does not.

Charlie

9. rider

rider Pen Pal - Newbie

Could somebody familiar with T4010 tell me their impression: one tablet I tested had a "bouncy" screen - i mean in a notebook position any stylus tap ,especially in the upper parts of the screen, made the screen bounce back and forth several times. It seems that the hinge is not firmly holding the screen part in place. Also, the stylus operation was rather clumsy (compared to B series notebook). Is that just the flaws of this notebook? the impressive thing about T4010 was its quietness and very limited amount of heat (with regular typing/internet browsing operation). it is somewhat bulky though. thanks

10. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All convertible Tablet PC's will "wobble" to some degree if you shake them or write on the display in "notebook mode". I always hold the screen steady with my left hand if I write in notebook mode (while writing with my right).

An advantage to the T4010 in this regard is that it has a much lighter build, so the tendency for it to be "top heavy" is minimized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.