Spec Sheet and Info for C141X C-141X and or C141XL C-141XL

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by christian15213, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tablettablet

tablettablet Scribbler - Standard Member

2. tablettablet

It's not very practical to carry around. (since it's pretty big) but still a nice thing to come home to. =)

3. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

To me, the only thing that would have made a change to the C-140 worthwhile would have been a graphics card upgrade...the X2300 is fine as it is, but something DX 10 capable would have been nice (the inability to play StarCraft 2 on my laptop when it comes out for example is a bit of a downer). And yeah an external graphics card would be nice, but the ExpressCard slot speed would be a huge limiting factor. Let's not forget that as helpful as a graphics card would be, a high end dual core or quad core processor is necessary in order to take advantage of a graphics card's capabilities, or you would seriously be bottlenecking your card and it would not run at full potential anyways. It would be more cost effective and practical to just purchase a high-end desktop PCI x16 card (like the 8800 GT at only $220.00) and stick it in your current desktop rig.

Personally, everything that the C-141 would be offering is already cheap and easy enough to be user-replaceable...hard drives are cheap, RAM is cheap, and even the T8300 by itself only costs about $240.00. An ExpressCard slot isn't all that helpful in my opinion, as we have an extra mini PCIe slot that's good for a WWAN card and whatnot. I guess if you had been contemplating a C-140 XL then it's worth the wait...otherwise, the changes are far too insignificant to warrant switching out a C-140 XL for a C-141 (unless of course you're one of the unfortunate few who have overheating problems). Just my two cents ^^.

4. tablettablet

For me the express card slot alone is worth the bump up in price. It opens up a whole new level of things for people who like gaming, or doing animation and other graphics intensive stuff.

5. tablettablet

Granted the external solution won't give you all the juice of the card, but it will give you most of it. So with a 512mb dx10 graphics card and the total being speculated to be about $350 it's quite a bit cheaper than buying an extra gaming/animation desktop.

6. Spoonsx21

Spoonsx21 Pen Pal - Newbie

The rep I talked to said the card would be the ATI x2300 HD, and he said there would be DX10 support? Is this possible with the 2300HD? I'm going to be awfully mad at Flip if he lied to me. The rep I talked too said he uses a tablet PC and thought it was about time they had DX10 support. So maybe he was just ill informed?

Also I can definitely confirm the AGN on BOTH the X and XL. I asked several times and he seemed quite sure of it.

7. christian15213

christian15213 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thaks for the AGN conformation... I forgot to ask that question.

Ok, for the NOOBS and ME, what is DX10 support? and why don't we have it? lol. As for the X2300HD which we already have. If we did get an external card for the express slot what and how will it work in conjunction with the 2300HD card that is already in there? Would it make it more powerful or no?

AS well, Oscur was saying that the more powerful processors. isn't the 8300 at 2.4 pretty powerful?

8. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

DX 10 is short for DirectX 10, which is the API or interface that is responsible for 3D graphics rendering. Currently, most graphics cards like t he 2300 HD support DirectX 9.0 games, yet more recent and future graphics cards do and will support DirectX 10, which is going to be standard in the next few years. DX 10 is specifically optimized for Vista and more graphic intensive games like Crysis, and as such makes it much, much better than DX 9 in terms of graphics rendering and realism. A lot of future games are going to require that we have DX10 in order for them to work (render) properly, and you can see why having a DX9 only card can be a big disadvantage.

And regardless of what a Gateway rep says the X2300 HD absolutely does not SUPPORT DX10 games, and has no DX10 rendering capabilities. If this is so then it's a completely different card....DX 10 support isn't just something you can turn on or off, it's very much hardware based and the X2300 hardware just doesn't have this capability.

And yes, the t8300 is a much, MUCH better than any current C2D out right now, it consumes a lot less power, and is more efficient and optimized to run faster, thus saving battery life, etc. etc.

9. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

take your phone number out of it...

10. christian15213

christian15213 Scribbler - Standard Member

LOL, you mean my phone number? DOHHHH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.