Speaker Upgrade Options...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Well... I'm at a loss... I would like to improve the Quality of the speakers in the c140/141 that I have but have no idea where to start... I looked this up online and found no hits that were very relevant to this...

I'm interested in upgrading the internal speakers... I know we don't have much room in these things anyway, but I would rather not have to carry an extra accessory even as small as the Kensington 33130 portables...

I hope there is somewhere to buy better laptop speakers...

Anyone?

-Spart

2. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want quality and portability, I'd go with a good set of earbuds/headphones. Shure, Etymotic Research, or the like.

Quality and notebook speakers don't usually go together.

3. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

i agree, headphones are your best bet. my brother has one of those giant gaming laptops with 5 internal speakers including an internal subwoofer and it still sounds like crap. you just cant cram a good sound system in a laptop, speakers need air to push.

4. Spartikiss

Thinking about going for noise cancellation earbuds... But I still would like to find a place to upgrade these things... I'm pretty sure that the drivers are paper/cardboard... Wonder if anybody makes urethane drivers this small... Not really looking for great sound... Just a little better... I'll probably still get a portable system... But I at least would like the option...

-Spart

5. Rabid Chihuahua

Rabid Chihuahua Pen Pal - Newbie

Use an Apple Airport Express and stream your music to your stereo wirelessly.

That's what I'm going to set up, it should be a great solution since the airport express has a digital audio output, which the C-141XL lacks.

6. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

You might also look into purchasing a decent pair of tweeters (since nothing this size is going to produce full-range sound anyways) and see if they will fit. I know a lot of higher end speakers use separate tweeters, and I believe you can purchase these tweeters separately. Now it's just a matter of a) is there enough wattage to push quality tweeters, and b) can you find a pair that will fit?

Good luck!

7. Spartikiss

Chihuahua... I'm not even gonna go there... But thanks for your Apple inc. plug... I'm sure someone will someday read this thread and go get one because it fits their needs... Not mine though... I'm looking to improve the sound of an enclosed portable system... Not add more stuff to carry... (e.g. digital audio full home theater with 1000 disc CD changer and 10000 watt amp to drive my custom enclosed speakers...)

Tom... Do you think the tweeters would be able to handle any low range sounds? The majority of tweeters that I've installed in cars can really only handle the higher frequency sounds but not the low end frequencies without becoming distorted... Do you know of any that you might recommend? I'm pretty sure that this would be best bet, but I'd have to get some specs before I open up the 140...

-Spart