Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I used to hope for this kind of result - then I realized there was no pony under that pile of horse apples...

That Galaxy Book 12 is starting to look pretty good

2. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope springs eternal ;)

The lack of a solid docking solution for the GB12 is the only thing holding me back.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it's far less and issue of having the latest thing with just wanting to protect your financial investment. I can't speak for the enterprise market that may get new devices every year as part of a lease agreement or something....but generally I think most users when they purpchase a laptop or tablet in the $1000+ range....more or less to expect it to last a few years....like if I was starting College as a freshman and I got the Surface Laptop.....I would want that to last till junior or senior year. Heck I'm still using my Surface Pro 3 which is already at the 3 year mark. If I decide to replace my Pro 3 with a Pro 4.5/5/6....I would expect at least 3 years from it....and given how Game Systems like the Nintendo Switch and cellphones like the S8 are already going all USB C....not to mention how many laptop/tablets are going there as well.....I really have to imagine that everyone's need for USB C is going to substantially increase in the next 2-3 years.

Simply put, putting a USB-C port on a device today in 2017 may not have as much a tangible benefit today in 2017....but it probably will in 2018 or 2019. To support that port shows at least some forward thinking, and Microsoft still refusing to add any USB-C support is backwards thinking....it's as if Microsoft is literally only thinking about 2017 needs and not even thinking.....hey just how useful will this be a year down the road?......and to which even that would make more sense if they did put out fresh hardware every year. But the Pro 4/Book 1 are almost as the 2 year mark....lets say they do put out the Pro 4.5......what if Microsoft decides to sit on a further updated Pro5/6 for another 2 years? What if the next Surface Pro doesn't hit till late 2019? The addition of that single port could make a world of difference for years to come.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Absolutely right - and worse still, Panos sold the new Surface Laptop as a four year college solution. HOGWASH. At least one USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 will be needed in the next couple of years.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I normally plan on keeping a device for as long as I can get a warranty for it. The portability of these devices means they take a real beating in everyday use. I'm on my third Surface 3 in 2 years. The first two had display problems. My Complete Care ends tomorrow.:vbfrown:

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm not even gonna suggest it.

Wroom, wroom .

Azzart and Bronsky like this.
  7. dstrauss

Microsoft has already hired Mona Lisa Vito for tire track identification...

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!

Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.

Juror #1: That's right.

Vinny Gambini: Is that it?

Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60s, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?

Mona Lisa Vito: They were!

Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very, very much.

bloodycape, Azzart and Bronsky like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Just... passin' the time...

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's hope SB2 come out with Cannon Lake at 10nm and thunderbolt USB C.
    I think MS won't repeat the same mistake.

At September-October next Windows 10 Fall Creators Upgrade would be very reasonable time for successor.

Surface Pro line is dead(DOA)for me until MS make radical improvements,changes and re-design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I get what you're saying, I do, I honestly do, plus I'd actually like the port on the SP Pro (Despite having no need for it).

So... a bigger question: What CPU will the top i7 version have?

Hopefully an i7-7660u (2.50GHz - 4.00GHz turbo, Iris Plus 640).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.