Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think they can announce it and demo it as a reference design for OEMs now, and release it in the fall. There have been devices in the past that were announced and only released months later. I think the i7 pro 3 was announced in may and shipped in September or something like that.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just to pick at old wounds, what ever happened to N-Trig's super capaciter rechargeable stick pen we were all hoping for in an SP5 silo - it's only been 5 years since N-Trig disclosed it in The Verge...next to the big yellow crayon...

[​IMG]

Selofain and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. dstrauss

imminent
    adjective im·mi·nent \ˈi-mə-nənt\
    Popularity: Top 20% of words
    Definition of imminent
    1. : ready to take place; especially : hanging threateningly over one's head was in imminentdanger of being run over
    imminently
    adverb

Thank you Merriam-Webster for clearing up the fact that the Surface 5 ain't imminent

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  4. dstrauss

So, I guess by the thundering silence in our forums today, BUILD brought no new hardware, or even hints, of interest?

I guess "imminent" once again gets re-defined as May 23...maybe sometime this decade...

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For those that want to know more about what's happening at BUILD:
    https://channel9.msdn.com/#programGuide

One part of the May 23 event is probably going to be a big launch of the Surface line in China. All the recent certifications and China's vastly increasing potential customer base make this a no-brainer.

I originally had expected some WOA news before/during BUILD, but I could still imagine WOA to be a theme on May 23, but with no specific hardware. At BUILD, devs will get a sneak peek and the May 23 event happens just days before CES Asia in Shanghai and Computex in Taipeh. If MS' OEM partners plan to announce/show some WOA devices there, a separate prior launch/marketing event could make sense. On the other hand, the timeframe that MS and Qualcomm gave so far for WOA devices indicated only H2/2017 or year's end holiday season, so this coudl be too early.

Another theme could be 3D/AR/VR. MS has talked up the admittingly gimmicky 3D features of the Creator's Update before. We know that many OEMs are working on affordable (~$300) AR headsets, e.g. at Acer's April event a MS rep talked at length about Acer's AR headset which they started shipping to developers. But again, I wouldn't expect any consumer hardware for several months.

Yet another thing might be a digital assistant, HomeHub, Cortana-based competitor to Amazon's Alexa etc. It is becoming a big thing and MS is going to try getting a big piece of the cake. With the idea of integrating that into all kinds of Windows devices, maybe they will show off something along that line.

Maybe the "what's next" theme is really just a broad look into the near future.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I need a good laugh right now, so I'll upgrade your proposal with yet another $20 to whomever posts a picture of getting 'The NEW Belfiore'.

[​IMG]

Apart from that chuckle, I have to say I am rather unimpressed with the features of the Fall Creators Update MS is announcing... ;)

southdunes and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Ah, if only I could have that haircut...

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Do you mean you sport The Nadella? :D

[​IMG]

southdunes and Azzart like this.
  9. dstrauss

My Take on Build Day 2

I have complained for several years now that the "mobile" version of Office and its other software (Outlook, OneNote, OfficeLens) is BETTER on iOS and Android, than it is in Metro/Windows Phone/ whatever you call it. My take on Creators Update Fall (9/2017) - Microsoft is going to glue all its productivity and services together across multiple platforms, so long as one of them is a Windows PC.

In other words: Micro-continuum. You will get the same great Office/Cloud experience if you are using a Windows PC, iPad, Android Smartphone, iPhone - just pick your poison and we'll serve up the antidote(s).
    • So you won't need a Surface Phone (check that one off).
    • You can use an iPad Mini Pro instead of a Courier/Surface Air wannabe.
    • You can mix Surface Pro 5, Galaxy Note 8, and iPad Pro 2 (or iPhone and Galaxy Tab 3).
    • And you can stack AI/VR on top of the whole house of cards...
    Now why did I throw that last little snark out there (house of cards)? Because Apple controls the SOFTWARE and HARDWARE on the Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, yet it is far from flawless and continuum breaks down frequently - there are glitches in closing your MacBook and open your iPad in the same document - what are the odds against MS on different hardware OEM's spanning THREE different OS platforms...

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nothing specific yet on WOA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.