Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think it's safe to say SOMETHING Surface Pro will be released at this event...>>

...If it folds, do I still get the million dollars...???

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These guys really know how to make us overthink.
    I just want an updated S3 with LTE ....simplicity beckons.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and southdunes like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I guess there really WON'T be a Surface Pro 5...>>

...I'm not sure how to read these remarks; they seem a bit inconsistent internally.

However, I think that a major factor in the future of the Surface Pro is that, over the course of just four generations, Microsoft has done a remarkable job of optimizing this device and its design. Put a little differently, their "degrees of freedom" to update or change the design in fundamental ways are virtually gone. Hence, Panos' comment about "experiencial" improvements makes a lot of sense to me.

As customers, we can carp about the battery life or USB-C or the WiFi quality or the lack of the latest processor, but in the bigger picture, these are just refinements. To expect that Microsoft can continue to improve the Pro in truly dramatic ways is becoming unrealistic as long as they stick to the basic form factor.

Of course, I want them to continue to improve the Pro and the Surface Book, but I think these products, especially the Pro, are entering a new phase of their life cycle where changes will be much less significant...

sonichedgehog360 and Azzart like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ya know...if you're looking for "experiential change" I know this great little tech called EMR on this device that just came out... ;)

Just sayin... :p

That's true, but that hasn't stopped Microsoft from issuing minor hardware refreshes in the past:

In early 2014, MS quietly updated the SP2 processor from an i5-4200U (1.6GHz) processor to an i5-4300U (1.9Ghz).

They could do much the same for the SP4 with Kaby Lake / USB-C and not miss a beat.

5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With LTE n call it a 4.5 ...voila done deal! lol. The ultimate change in design would be a surface mini with LTE and Wacom ...I hope he's listening to us now .

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We also have to realize that MS is a software first company, they value their subscription and cloud services and this is what "changes", gets updated and gives consumers a reason to keep paying money every month. MS probably feels it's up to the oem's to push the hardware envelope. But Microsoft has proven to be able to push the hardware envelope much farther than the oem's, which may be an issue if they abandon their hardware. I don't think the oem's are capable of invigorating the market without Microsoft, they seem to just want to suck blood out of a stone until there is nothing left as the PC market shrinks about them. In that sense it behooves Microsoft to continue to innovate in the hardware space, because without their guidance there won't be any beige boxes to install or run their services. Although that's not entirely true as we still have the dumb tablets like android/iOS and of course smartphones, and who knows maybe Windows S will come on toasters and washers?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Marty - you are a little devil, aren't you...if the GB12 can be docked to my two WQHD monitors, printer, and speakers, and finally releases a GSM LTE variety, I'll be very interested...but right now the SP4 is running flawlessly, has more speed, double the memory, quadruple the storage, and gets a pretty solid 6 hours on the battery...

That's D@#N good in anybody's book (all puns intended). Still, EMR has a strong draw for me.

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Who me? :vbrolleyes: I am just a cute little dog who loves his tablet treats...

(Public notice: I am now taking bets on how long @dstrauss can last before getting a GB12 this year :p)

9. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Jeez Louise. You know what would make an experiential change to the pro line, Mr Panay? A MACHINE BIG ENOUGH FOR PROS TO USE PROFESSIONALLY. 4k, 16 - 20". Portable/luggable.

I was hoping to leave my Mac gear behind and move over to surface stuff - a big studio for the studio, and a 16+ inch SP5 or SB2 for on the go. Sigh.

I guess I'll go with Wacom then. Dammit.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dark by username, Dark by nature.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.