Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Surface Phone? :D

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

On that "Surface Pro 5 thing" Panos Panay had an interesting response in a CNet interview immediately following the Surface Laptop reveal:

Does that mean there's a new fifth-generation Surface Pro on the way soon? "When it's meaningful and the change is right, we'll put it on market," he said of the still-hypothetical next Surface Pro. "Meaningful change isn't necessarily a hardware change, which is what a lot of people look for. They're like, 'Where's the latest processor?' That's not what I mean. I'm looking for an experiential change that makes a huge difference in product line." Examples he cites include making big strides in battery life or dropping the weight significantly, rather than just upgrading the processing power. "You'll see that same meaningful impact when Pro 5, or Pro Next hits the market,'"Panay said, quickly qualifying that, "there's no such thing as a Pro 5."

So, are we in for some "experiential change" in a couple of weeks, or just the Surface 4.5 we have been warned about. Speaking of Thurrott's/Foley's warnings about the Surface Chromebook, I'm not so sure they either are a part of the mis-direction, or at least are being fed "half-truths"as a way of tamping down expectations. I still want to see Smart Frame and Thunderbolt 3, or there will be no reason to upgrade. It was Panay's comment immediately before the quote above that makes me think we are going to get SP 4.5:

Of course, mentioning the Surface Pro 4, almost universally praised as a great two-in-one, serves as reminder that it's been about 18 months since that system appeared. That's a long time in an industry often slavishly devoted to the 12-month annual upgrade cycle. The natural question to ask is, where is the Surface Pro 5? And if you're considering a Surface Pro 4, is it better to sit tight and wait for the next generation? "If people don't want to buy our Pro 4 at this time, that's OK," Panay said. "What I'm super, super sure of is that the people using a Pro 4 have a product that's going to be competitive for five years."

Does that mean we don't need and won't get USB-c/Thunderbolt for a couple of more years?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Hey, didn't you marry Berlusconi's daughter, let him pay!

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's kind of dark, magistric..

nnthemperor, southdunes and Bronsky like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

How did you know? Who spilled the beans?!? :mad:

6. dstrauss

If he were married to Barbara Berlusconi, he'd have a LOT better avatar than that...

Azzart and Bronsky like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, this thing is still imminent?:vbrolleyes:

That sure is true of the Surface 3, since they refuse to make a successor.

wataru, sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

WRONG - they did (with Samsung's help) - the Galaxy Book 10.6, and they even gave it Wacom EMR :D

You know, if they'd just recant and add LTE back to the 4gb/128gb model, even I'd press "BUY"

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Pretty happy with my m3 SP4.

I just wish it had the old wacom EMR, I keep eying the Galaxy Book, but I dont even consider it because of the whole design.

The infinite kick stand and type cover have simply won me over forever.

wataru, sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

Re-reading that Panay quote from CNet, I guess there really WON'T be a Surface Pro 5, just Pro Next (or would that translate to the "next Surface Pro" and drop the lineage number)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.