Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Last thought - this really does look like the MacBook Air upgrade Apple fans have begged for years....

2. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Is it just me, or does it feel like MS is jumping all over the place. When the SP line up was introduced, MS sold it as the "laptop & desktop" replacement. Now we a have desktop (SP) & 2 laptops. Personally, I'm not liking the direction MS is going.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yes, is my mind that's the weirdest design decision, just ahead of not including USB-C alongside USB-A, and not offering a free WinPro update on a $1000 device. Why give people the opportunity of moaning about 'gimped windows' for a measly fifty bucks potential profit per device?

Edit: wow, on the specs page it states "Easily switch to Windows 10 Pro for free until Dec 31, 2017." Did they even mention this in the presentation?

sonichedgehog360 and southdunes like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I started a separate thread for the Surface Laptop here, feel free to join with device praise or our usual doom and gloom! :)

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

They just filled all the segments in the end: a pure tablet, a hybrid 2in1, a desktop and a laptop.
    As useless as it may be for the most of us, they can reach all the crowd out there with these. :)

dstrauss likes this.
  6. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

When it comes to battery life with Surface devices, I still hear the echoes of overstatements and hyperbole from the SP4 release. All manufacturers overstate battery life to a fault, but the SP4 was a particularly large disappointment.

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Windows 10 S... between R and T. Mind blown...>>

...Isn't it amazing the amount of thinking that they've obviously put into that...?

However, on a more serious note, I think today's step was necessary for Microsoft to make. Having now done that, however, I hope we see something more aspirational than a simple processor upgrade on SP4 / SB in the not-too-distant future (i.e., not having to wait until 2018!)...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. dstrauss

As in ReST in peace?

soh5, dbrn, Azzart and 1 other person like this.
  10. dstrauss

BATTERIES

On a more serious note, do you folks think with the 14.5 video watching time we might get a full 8 hours business use out of the Surface Laptop (why didn't they just call it "Surface Air" or even just "surface")? Panos' description of closing the lid and not losing a tick of battery sounds great, sounds just like my daughter's long running experience with her MacBook Air, and sound to reminiscent of his claims about the Surface Book, which ate up batteries when first released like Joey Chestnut through hot dogs.

It would sure be great though...but it leave unsaid the obvious - what does that aspiring college student (in those great videos) TAKE THEIR CLASS NOTES ON? You suppose Panos forgot to mention the screen rotates all the way around back for note taking...:rolleyes:

Still, I can hear Cook asking Schiller at this very moment - "How come we never thought about a retina MacBook Air with touch, pen, and 16gb of RAM?"

dbrn, Starlight5 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.