Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@surfaceproartist I have (looked at Huawei), and just like Galaxy Tab S Pro, I think V2 could be a real knockout - for me the pen is a bit stocky, and right now it doesn't really give me that much more than this SP4 (plus 3/4TB less storage).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. dstrauss

You know, this is getting to be SKU hell all over again:

Win Home (cheapie for vendors)

Win Pro (that's all MS would sell, until now)

WinCloud, UWP only (ala WinRT) but upgradable to Win Pro;

Win on ARM, UWP with Win32 emulation

Oh how the universe is changing. Apple makes it's own processors, and long rumored to want to move from Intel to their own silicon, and here it is Microsoft with ARM in its crosshairs...
    [​IMG]

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Son of Surface RT? :eek:!?!:confused:

4. dstrauss

More like "Spawn" of Surface RT...:cool:

[​IMG]

Probably not of much interest to the crowd on this forum...

dellaster likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...neither the Surface Pro...have those inserts for their wifi only models...>>

The Surface Pro (1), which was definitely not WLAN:

[​IMG]

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So now we reset the snooze button for September...Not much reason to switch to GB12 until Galaxy Note 8 rolls out - same snooze button can do double duty...>>

I agree. If Windows Cloud and a low-cost laptop is all that Microsoft brings forward, I'll be disappointed. Especially after WindowsRT. Which is not to say that I disliked RT; I'm still using it! But given the cold reception that it got, why does Microsoft think that Windows Cloud will do any better?

Maybe if the Store had a competitive assortment of apps, but developers are still shying away and would rather develop for Apple or Google / Alphabet...

kvoram, dbrn and dstrauss like this.
  7. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the idea is to be able to sell windows tablets for as cheap as the Android tablets. I would think they would make windows cloud free. If they can run it as windows on arm, then financially, there is no benefit of making Android tablets. The user would then have the choice of paying to upgrade it to full windows 10 pro. The upgrade will probably as easy as a couple of clicks. The functionality of restricting and allowing installation of software from outside of the windows store is already built in to the creators update.

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows Cloud sounds to me like another RT desaster. I just can't see that succeed in the marketplace. The app situation with UWP is of course much better than it was with RT. But I think it will be really hard to sell.
    Advanced consumers will want a Windows tablet because it runs full Windows. Most regular people on the other hand, who might be totally fine with what UWP offers, likely won't see why they should choose this over Android or iOS.
    Not to mention that most UWP apps will likely have better options on those competing OS'. Very little incentive right now for SW devs to invest time and money into UWP, too. MS might want to build a walled garden akin to Apple and Google, but I don't see them succeeding in such efforts.

Marketing would also be a confusing disaster. How do you explain Windows Cloud to someone who has little Windows knowledge? The misleading name doesn't help either.

The upgrade path of course makes it relatively risk-free for the buyer, but this already seems like a lack of trust in Windows Cloud by MS itself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  9. dstrauss

By my count, you just served up six strikes, so MS lost TWO BATTERS. By the way, you are right on all counts.

kvoram likes this.
  10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Latest rumor: A Snapdragon 835 based Surface netbook.

Source: https://twitter.com/baidunokibar/status/851953463600619520

It does fit quite well into the previous rumors. IF they were to make it Yoga Book-style with a 360° hinge, while fixing that one's mistakes by adding a digitizer in the screen plus a physical keyboard, that wouldn't be too bad.

And apparently, Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore may be the guy in charge of that Windows Cloud version:
    http://mashable.com/2017/04/11/belfiore-on-his-return-to-microsoft/

News keep on trickling, Save the Date, May 2nd:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-confirms-spring-launch-is-on-for-may-2-in-new-york-city/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.