Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you say 4G LTE?I'm drooling!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That 3/4" insert across the top edge is nearly universal design for an LTE antennae in all metal devices (like Surface 3, iPad, etc.) - and if this is some kind of filing for a WOA based Surface 4, that would make a lot of sense.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...That 3/4" insert across the top edge is nearly universal design for an LTE antennae in all metal devices...>>

...It's a design for any antenna, of which LTE is only one. Surface tablets have used this design from day one. Unless the patent narrative mentions LTE specifically, this design feature indicates nothing about LTE except that it could be included at some future point in time...

dbrn likes this.
  4. dstrauss

I respectfully disagree - neither the Surface Pro nor iPad have those inserts for their wifi only models.

dbrn and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think and hope LTE is the way forward. With no S4 in sight we'll have to dig this one out.

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. dstrauss

Well, this quote says it all (from MJ Foley article referenced by @sonichedgehog360 ):

"I've heard the same as my Windows Weekly colleague Paul Thurrott: Anyone hoping for USB-C may be disappointed. An Intel Kaby Lake processor is likely in the new Surface Pro model, some of my contacts are saying. But there will be no new power connector or other ports, my sources say."

She did go on to speculate about this "dumbed down" WinCloud Surface 4...(Dumbed-down is my reference to Windows Cloud OS, not anything MJ or Paul said).

So now we reset the snooze button for September (or later if they do release SP4.5)...Not much reason to switch to GB12 until Galaxy Note 8 rolls out - same snooze button can do double duty.

@dbrn - GET THAT REQUISITION IN NOW!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Steve S and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss have you looked at the Huawei MateBook? Their first gen tablet was as close to an iPad as any Windows manufacturer has ever gotten. Really curious what they have in store for their follow-up.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hopefully, MS already has plans to use the Surface 4 name in an ARM/W10 device to be released this fall. With this as a possibility, Samsung is going to have to have designed the SB10 very well and priced it perfectly to make me jump in the face of a nearly ideal ARM device that can run my WP and Adobe Acrobat Pro legacy software.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.