Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Just for the sake of historical perspective and pattern, when was the Surface Pro 4's patent filed? Gauging how many days before release they filed that prior patent could shed some light on the approximate amount of time we have left before this next release.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing troubles me....despite the inclusion of USB-C.......they still retain the mini display port and USB-type-A port. Microsoft was hesitant to retain USB-type A in the Pro 4....to further retain it would mean the device really couldn't be any thinner then the Pro4. Additionally....microsofts been stingy with ports because of the engineering hurdles of powering/wiring the ports......given their past reluctance to give us any more then one USB port....I find it odd they would still give us USB-Type A and Mini Display port....when they could consolidate them into a single USB-C with Thunderbolt.

dbrn and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Seems to me they need at least two TB3-USB C connectors to keep up with the Jones (low end of the MacBook Pro community). Even if they want to continue Surface Connector, replace the miniDP and USB A ports with TB3/USB-C

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this patent shows a Windows-on-ARM non-pro Surface 4.

IMHO, Windows Central are getting it completely wrong. I don't understand why they make the argument that a Surface connector could be replaced with USB-C based on that patent.
    That patent clearly shows not a Surface Pro, but the non-pro Surface 3, with the only difference that the micro-USB port is replaced with USB-C.

If MS were to update the Surface 3, replacing micro-USB is simply a logical thing, since that was only being used for charging. Everybody is moving from micro-USB to USB-C, even for basic charging ports. Keeping the USB-A and miniDP port is then also only logical.

Lots of people like the current Surface design and if we are also going to see only a same-design Surface Pro 4.5, it would make sense that they keep the Surface 3 design for their first WOA Surface.

If anything, @Bronsky et al. should rejoice, this increased the probability for a WOA successor to the Surface 3 tremendously.

dbrn and dellaster like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. You are correct that the drawing is a perfect replica of the Surface 3. If MS put ARM power in a Surface 3 and added a USB-C charging port, that would be great! I could even keep the same dock, since it does not use the mUSB 2.0 port at all, and connects only through the USB 3.0 and DP ports. Thus, I could still use my dock for the W10/ARM Surface 3. Very interesting.

southdunes likes this.
  7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I might add, if they do put USB-C on a Surface 3 successor with W10/ARM, it will be very likely that the Surface Pro 4.5 will also use USB-C in some way.

Personally I just hope that MS keeps the USB-A port for a few more years. Eliminating that would be the same desastrous dongle-hell that Apple is pushing down their customer's throats. That is a "pro" feature that sets the Surface line positively apart from Apple's products.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. dstrauss

@kvoram and @Bronsky - you guys may have found your fabled "Surface 4" after all.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Nice. I saw that app mentioned in a story on Thurrott.com about expanded support for Surface Dial. I was 90% sure it was an iOS app. Thanks for confirming. This is pretty good news for the bridge technology.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The last time such a patent was filed was in the month of March as well, and a Surface product came out in October immediately following. Taking this into consideration, all this might mean an October release for a Windows-on-Arm-based Surface 3 successor.

dstrauss, southdunes and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.