Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

V (voltage), not W (wattage). Look at the power adapter specifications for the Surface Pro 4. Besides omitting the USB port, the m3 model's power adapter is unique in terms of voltage. It outputs 15V (specifically 15V, 1.6A), not 12V like the other models' adapter. I was making the observation that because we are seeing another 15V adapter again, there must also be a fanless model Surface Pro 5 using a m3 or Y-class Intel Core processor.

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gotcha, wasn't aware the ULV W & V was relative at 15 in and 15 out

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

Well, it's 100-240V AC in, 15V DC out for the m3 model Surface Pro 4's wall wart.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's not forget that apparently all Surface devices since the SP3 can take both 12V and 15V:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-pro-4-discussion-thread.67857/page-386#post-489242

Whether that means anything regarding those leaks, I have no idea. :p

More interesting would be to have all the current model no. for the Surface line to compare them to those in the tweet(1625,1736,1796,1800). What I could find only with a quick search were 1703&1705 for a SB with i5/8G/256G/Nvidia, 1724 for a SP4 with i5/8G/256G and 1725 for a Type Cover. Folks, check the labels on your boxes:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Looks like those model no. in the tweet are really just the charger model numbers. 1625 is my SP3 charger.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Per my understanding, the Surface Pro 4 m3 can't, though. There have been notices about voltage on mobile battery packs with reference to the m3 model for this very reason. I was about to buy a battery pack once but this dissuaded me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3tyea6/powerbank_for_the_sp4/cxak6cs/
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/how-to-charge-sp4-via-portable-powerbank.19244/

Do the 12V chargers actually work with the m3 model? I have not tried and maybe you have an answer to this, @kvoram .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    kvoram likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's 40th anniversary young padawan...

dellaster, sonichedgehog360 and dbrn like this.
  7. dstrauss

Well sports fans, the "drip" of rumors is turning into an open faucet:

Windows Central found a design patent replacing Surface Connector with USB-c:

[​IMG]
    So how does all of this fit in with Thurrott's tweet from a verified source - it fits real well in the narrative of announcing a speed/processor bump right now, something "new" in the spring reveal, and full revisions late fall to SP5 and SB2...

Notice - this design drawing includes the telltale LTE antennae at the top...:cool:

dbrn, darkmagistric, ships10 and 3 others like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Thanks for making me feel old first thing in the morning. I vividly recall driving to the theatre on a late afternoon weekday after work to see it. Unprecedented long line for the location & time of day. I started thinking the good word of mouth (no internet back then!) might be correct for once. Then my mind got blown by the movie... :eek::D

kvoram, dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

I know it is the 40th. It was a silly typo. Whoops. I have a load of Star Wars memorabilia, including video games, R2-D2 robot, and other trinkets and toys. I know the date when Star Wars was first released.

---

Interesting. There is no Surface connector. If this patent is for the next Surface, this would mean Thurrot's source was wrong about the Surface connector staying around. I (and I am sure many here) certainly do not mind that, but this is getting a bit more complicated than before. Either (a) this is merely a patent for the sake of filing a patent, (b) this is a patent for something a little further into the future, or (c) this is a patent for the next Surface.

10. dstrauss

As patents go it is a very interesting drawing - it was originally filed in 2015 (for the SP4), but this drawing is a recent (3/28/17) update of the original, which would cover what? That "what" is going to be very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.