Sp5 imminent?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by soh5, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kvoram and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

It is hard to say. He could be simply teasing the Surface Pro fan base or he could be dead serious about it. However, consider his other latest tweet: Pixies... pixels. The fact that he said he is listening to the Pixies might mean the next Surface's design might incorporate some cool new feature incorporating pixels, perhaps a full 4K display or maybe even an edge-to-edge display with a virtual bezel. Using a song by this band as a reveal theme would be a clever stroke of genius if the next big innovation in Surface heavily involved pixels.

EDIT: By the way, this marks post 1000 for me! I am deeply thankful to be a part of a group of such kind, smart, fun people. Out of all the forums dotting the World Wide Web, you guys truly make this place the most cozy, down-to-earth corner of the Internet. I look forward to being an avid member of the Tablet PC Review forum for many years to come. Thank you to each and every one of you–and I do mean everyone!–for all the positive experiences you have given me here. Seriously, this forum rocks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Note that Windows Central is now saying that Redstone 2 / Creator's Update is aiming for an 11 April release date... which is also April's Patch Tuesday...

Congratulations, sonic; your posts have helped to create the site quality that you value...

PS: You only have 5,000 posts to go if you expect to catch that bastard Bronsky!

dstrauss, dbrn and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Almost done, means it isn't done yet. Once done, it has to go through internal review. Technical review, financial review, marketing review. Then writing user manuals, translating user manuals, proof reading user manuals, rewriting user manuals. Then it is time for the packaging team to meet with the add agency. When that is done they'll send all the specs to Taiwan, they have to be translated to Chinese, then it is time to procure all the items that go into the device. Finally ready to produce when a revision from Redmond arrives, switch out some items, back to production. Ship to L.A., new decree from Trump stops all foreign entry through L.A., reship to Seattle, talk about new Trump executive order. Finally Nadella decides he has to sneak down to the harbor personally, black sweater helps, and get the SP5s out of custom holding sector.

So another two weeks?

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

@Steve S : Is there a forum trophy for 10,000 posts? Surely, there is one. I am already a forum addict at 1,000. What does 10,000 mean?

@Kumabjorn : Hopefully, "almost done" means finalizing production and marketing, not being at the tail end of development. Still, you might very well be right on target. Plus, it would open a whole can of worms of potential problems if they choose to release it with a non-field-tested OS build. They already had Skylake's buggy drivers give the Surface Pro 4 a rough start for the first few months following its release. With that recent painful lesson right behind them, it would be a terrible disservice to load Creators Update on their otherwise perfected hardware only to have it riddled with software bugs. Anniversary Update was far from perfect when it was released so it would be a crying shame to load a brand-new buggy OS on the Surface Pro 5. I would think Microsoft might still follow their general tradition of a June-October release time frame. They might be purposely waiting until June to release or review it in celebration of five years of the Surface Pro line, which would make sense:

• Surface Pro 2 – September 23 (announced), October 22 (released)
    • Surface Pro – June 18 (announced), October 26 (released)
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...te-specs-price-rumours-uk#DFIgGthH5z5vEsZ0.99

6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it's coming within the next four weeks, prior to BUILD.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member

bring it on bitches , need some new hardware crack... PLEASE GOD....

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is there a forum trophy for 10,000 posts?...What does 10,000 mean?..>>

...If not, we can surely make one. It would mean that you have no life...

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Police officer: "So, where do you live sonny?"

Sonichedgehog360: "At TabletPCreview.com"

:eek:

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Let's add to the rumor mongering:

Given that Microsoft is "jointly" marketing the Galaxy Book with Samsung (translation - paying for OEM diversification), would it make more sense to hold up the SP5 announcement to give Samsung a few weeks clear path to market, OR, are the Galaxy Books poised to be the low end of the Surface line? I think it is the later, and we won't see an M class Surface, nor a low end i5 SKU with just 4gb/128gb. Watch for MS to focus on the super high end, with the SP5 i5 and i7 starting at 8gb/256gb (possibly 512gb), and the top end i7 coming with 16gb/1TB and a 4k display (that would be awesome if it were bezel-less as well).

Also think we won't see the SB2 in this announcement. It will be a separate event in late summer/fall with a deign closer to the Porsche Design Book One (no fulcrum hinge; 4k display; better dGPU; more battery)...

PS - @sonichedgehog360 - Welcome to the 4-digit club kid, now get busy and catch up!

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.