SP3 owners, requirement for update to SP4?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Foot massage ?

On a serious note, having bought 2 of SP3, & having been using one every day for 2-3 hrs per, it will need to be a truly massive upgrade for me to drop the benjamins. Can't even quantify it.

When it first came out, I bought SP1 and liked it a lot. SP2 was a dud, never felt slightest inkling to upgrade.

Now, if I were to use SP3 for 8-9 hrs per day, as say a CS student, then may be I'd ask for 2-3 more hrs of battery life. But she charges do damn quickly, as-is.

Throttling dont bother me, for # crunching I use a 6 core X79 LGA2011, overclocked to 4.6GHz. In similar conundrum with that 1 too, X99 just doesn't seem like a worthy update either.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I own a gaming PC as well, but the throttling bothers me.

Who's to say that I wouldn't want to start a nice game of Minecraft every once in a while the desktop's in use?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If I weren't so stuck on the SPro3, I'd probably be with you. In fact, if ThinkPad Yoga had display port (not just through the dock) I would be in a Wacom only camp. But I think a Lumia 1020S with 41mpxl camera, 2gb ram, 64gb ssd, 5" FHD screen, and N-Trig pen would finally break the death grip on my soul called iPhone...

I really think we have to move past the throttling issue. You just can't have a functional tablet (many feel even SPro 3 is too big in that roll), retina MacBook Pro 13, and Alienware gaming machine, all in the SPro3 chassis.

4. cookies4you

But the Surface Pro 2 handled heat well...

Well guys, I found this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2883252/intels-core-m-skylake-chips-coming-later-this-year.html

Apparantly, Broadwell will be getting phased out by Skylake in less than a year.

Maybe there won't be a Surface Pro 4 until Skylake?

5. Mi7chy

Mi7chy Pen Pal - Newbie

Fanless Core M is at the top of the list for me and the reason for replacing my Surface Pro 3 with Thinkpad Helix2 while waiting for Surface Pro 4. Benefits of Core M is near i5 performance which is very usable but without the throttling nor worry about fan going bad/dust accumulation for a non-user serviceable device.

Second is 8GB DRAM minimum. No sale if Microsoft gimps the fanless model with 4GB like the SP3 i3 option.

Third is stiffer material for keyboard cover so it doesn't flex.

6. cookies4you

Now that I think about it, what's the point of the 4GB SKU?

All it does is complicate manufacturing, since you have to buy both 2 GB chips and 4 GB chips, rather than just 4 GB chips.

SSDs get a pass because they aren't soldered on the board, but the RAM is. All it does is add to the costs.

I don't see the point of the varying i-series SKUs either.

7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I think MS should product two models of SP4 to satisfy two group of users.

For me, I want a fanless tablet to use with Cortana and speech recognition. I don't think speech recognition with built-in mic is feasible with a fan whirling inside.

8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

15 inch screen, 200+ dpi, 95%+ adobe RGB, 16+ gigs of RAM
    I'd be in hog heaven. 20 inch screen would make me cry tears of joy.
    I don't care about portability, I care about luggability. My big cintiq isn't luggable.
    For me, a bigger SP4 and the Cintiq Companion 2 are neck and neck to be my next machine.

9. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd like to see Surface Pro 4 power. Same body as SP3, just twice as thick and with quad core CPU inside. I don't even think it's madness - I believe MS will be able to sell it to Pro users, gamers and enthusiasts )

excalibur1814 likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.