SP3 new user questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Chocobo, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

My Surface (i5/128GB) just arrived, and now after about two years, I have a tablet PC again! Things sure have changed. Some questions:

1) What is the best app to draw/paint with? I own Photoshop CS6 but I'm loathe to start installing huge Adobe programs on this tiny hard drive. Fresh Paint seems very limited, and the pressure sensitivity is way too low.
    2) Speaking of pressure sensitivity, where do I change that? The standard driver doesn't have a setting.
    3) What kind of games can I run on this? I hear integrated graphics have been getting better.
    4) What are good bags for this tablet (preferably ones that can fit the Type Cover also)?
    5) Will I need to buy a screen protector? Is the screen at risk of getting scratched by the pen or regular use?
    6) Is it possible to not have the on screen keyboard come up when I tap on a text entry field and have the type cover attached?
    7) Is it possible to make the taskbar larger? It's hard to tap on the icons with my finger when the type cover is attached.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) Photoshop has a beta feature that lets you run it in tablet mode with larger buttons, UI etc. There is a way to enable it in the settings but I'm sure others will chime in. Sketchbook is pretty nice, it's pretty basic but has layers and brushes, etc.
    2) there is no setting for this yet, it's been promised but not released.
    3) You can run most modern games on it, but in medium to low resolution. Your fan will go nuts, after a few minutes the gpu will be throttled, and the experience gets degraded. I've been able to run Skyrim, Elder scrolls online, tomb raider 2013, etc. on it with decent settings/resolution. IMO you are better off dropping the resolution, this way you can keep the settings medium.
    4) I run a Tucano bag I got at Staples for my old TPT10, it's very very small/svelte but fits the SP3 and type cover perfectly, with a bit of room to spare for my vivotab 8 and assorted junk. I'll try to pull up a link for it.
    5) Depends how you use it. I've never understood a screen protector for something that has the cover on it, and I've never come close to scratching a tablet screen, but some like them.

Edit: here is the tucano bag I use: Finatex Extra Small. It works perfectly if you want something very svelte.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Chocobo and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Chocobo

Thanks for the reply, spinedoc! I've added a couple of questions as I've been using the Surface and finding new snags.

4. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I moved my taskbar to the top of the screen to help with the type cover interference issue. Give that a try

5. spinedoc77

6) The software keyboard shouldn't pop up if you have the type cover connected, at least that's been my experience.
    7) You can enlarge and even move the taskbar. Right click on it and uncheck where it says lock the taskbar. Then you can drag it larger or smaller, or drag it to the top, left or right of the desktop and move it altogether.

6. Chocobo

It doesn't pop up if I use an external mouse, the type cover touch pad, or the pen. But it pops up when I use my finger, regardless of whether the type cover is connected or not.

Unfortunately, that just makes it add extra rows. I'd like to increase the size of the icons along with the taskbar, so that it's just one row, but bigger.

7. spinedoc77

Have you increased the DPI? At 150% it's decent, but I use it at 200% and icons and text are large and nice for my old eyes.

nnthemperor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.