SP3 - LCD Sleep without computer sleeping?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Robotica72, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Im a little lost on this one - its not a hard setup, but with the power options, it doesn't seem to be working on the SP3.

I want to have my LCD turn off, but not the entire computer ... If I set the Display timeout in the power profile, it always sets the sleep in the power options, so when my LCD goes to sleep, the entire computer goes to sleep ....

Am I missing something???

2. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

No you are not missing anything, this is a 'feature' or result of connected standby.

On the atom tablets third party programs or commands to turn off the screen did not work, but it might be different on the icore models. Apart from that if you really want that ability you may need to consider disabling connected standby.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a slight correction, in Connected Standby (or InstantGo, as Microsoft now insist on calling it), the entire computer has not gone to sleep. True, desktop applications are halted (so it looks as though, from a traditional Desktop point of view, the computer is asleep), but other processes, and Modern UI apps, can still get a reduced bite (so as to minimise battery drain) at the cherry.

4. Robotica72

Thanks - Very depressing - So I need to disable my LCD timeout for newsgroups / etc .. So in effect, the idea of saving power has the complete opposite effect, I use more power now that I need to have my LCD on, all the time ....

I would disable it, but then I lose the ability to use my touch cover to turn off the LCD - would be great is someone could figure out Connected Standby and disabling it, but retaining sleep for the cover....

5. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So why don't you look for a Modern UI version of a newsgroup reader, if that's what you want to do?

6. Robotica72

True - I could do that ... Haven't even tried since I like Grabit for most of that ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.