SP3 i3 vs i5 models performance and daily using experience comparison

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Sandiegosd, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do a little search on the internet and you'll find how to:

-Disable hibernation which recovers space
    -Disable Virtual memory that recovers space
    -Move your recovery partition that recovers space
    -Disable system restore that recovers space

etc. There are ways to have a whole load of free space under windows.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you install apps and programs and run them from the external sdxc card in windows 8.1? If so? How do you move them please?
    @San, no I haven't because I don't usually deal with such a huge file size. I also don't have Adobe reader as Bluebeam Revu 12 has an excellent inking feature and is a full suite. DrawBoard is also a feature rich PDF annotator on the metro side.

3. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, you can install programs and apps onto an SD card and run them straight from it. The installation of programs is straightforward, just change the installation directory from the default (C:\Program Files\ProgramXYZ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ProgramXYZ) to a folder on your SD card. Apps are a bit more tricky, you have to edit the system registry so it's not for the beginner. Here are the steps I followed to get everything up and running. Just note that programs and apps will take a little longer to load when they are initially opened compared to ones installed on the internal SSD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Sandiegosd

Sandiegosd Pen Pal - Newbie

It'd be interesting to hear more i3 users' feedback on their daytoday experience using the SP3. So far it seems only @nnthemperor has got one of those i3

5. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll get mine in 5 days :)

6. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll riceive mine from Italian MicrosoftStore next 28agoust. I'm a teacher and I hope the i3 version is the best for me: no noise fan, speed for Office, Video, great with new pen, wonderful with 12" 3:2 screen in OneNote. In future I'd like to do videoediting for my job, but not before next accademic year (2015-2016). So for that I'll buy a future SP5 with no fan (I hope), i7, 16gb ram, 256ssd. For now the best tabletpc for my use is SP3 i3.
    As soon as said a person, it doesn't exist the perfet tabletpc, but the best tabletpc for your use! ;)

7. Sandiegosd

From this thread:" Where are the surface pro 3 i3 reviews?" @sleestac has reported that he is getting great battery life out of the i3's, " I thought the i5 had good life...for me, the i3 has great battery life!" So it seems that at least for the tablet tasks he's doing on the SP3, the i3 outlasts the i5 models. I also get the impression from all the readings here that heating is more rarely a problem on the i3's than on the i5s?
    Heat, noise, battery life, those are some compelling reasons for me to pick i3 to do mainly PDF reading/annotation tasks

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had an i5 and an i3. I prefer the i3. Fan hardly ever comes on. Heat is kept under control. I3 is powerful enough for all the basic things I do - pdf editing, office, web browsing, movies, duos android. I don't find the storage restrictive for me as it is a secondary device and I have a small USD SSD device that works well if I need any extra storage space later. The i5 wasn't bad but I feel it is overkill for me and has slightly worse heat, fan noise and battery life.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Sandiegosd

Thought it might be interesting to share my story. Bought an i5 /128 Version yesterday at Best buy and was doing the fresh install. I had it plugged in while it was running so the machine got hot fast and the fan swirling just become quite noticeable to the point of being annoying. I didn't even bother with the updates. Watched a ten Youtube clips in 720/1080p and experienced noticeable battery drop by the minute.] guess driving the fan takes a lot of that battery inside. Also had this realization that it be using the sp3 mainly as a companion device so it should be Worth it to trade some performance & storage space to get the cooler i3. Exchange the machine today, haven't done the clean install or updates but man, am I glad not to have it running so hot with its little fan busy at work from time to time. My usage: browsing, One note, PDF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.