SP1: She's dead, Jim

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ColoKaren, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd been having bizarre problems with my Surface Pro 1. It stopped charging while plugged in; it would only trickle charge overnight. I got a Power Cover, and it would randomly reboot. Tonight, I got (what I assume to be) the new version of a BSOD. The message says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." It gets to 100% and just sits there, mocking me.

I've tried everything I can think of: hard reboot, letting it sit (it was running *very* hot), removed the SD card, etc. No joy. I do have the insurance plan, but not excited about losing my licenses for Acrobat Pro Extended and Office 2013. Any ideas???

How horrific will MS be?
    How horrible will getting someone else's problem computer be?
    How long of a warranty will I get on a refurb?
    Will I get a "new" AC adapter?
    Is the Power Cover also defective?!

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I can't read the future. Go to MS store and test them out.

3. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Test what out? Sorry, I don't understand your comment. Edited to add: Oh, you mean take my dead SP to the MS store, exchange it and test out the replacement refurb there? That'd be an idea if there was one in my town.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Contact Surface Care, they were quite helpful with a warranty replacement I needed a few months back. If you aren't happy with the replacement device they send you, refuse it and send it back and have them send you another.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How horrific will MS be?..>>

...Other members have almost uniformly reported a good experience when dealing with Microsoft's Surface Care warranty service. It will likely take some time to replace your Pro, but the indications are that it won't be horrible.

<<...How horrible will getting someone else's problem computer be?..>>

...Once a tablet model gets old enough, refurbs are a fact of life. Take be77solo's advice; if you're not satisfied, send it back.

<<...How long of a warranty will I get on a refurb?..>>

...Never had to worry about this, but I would assume that your original warranty would simply carry on from its original date of issue.

<<...Will I get a "new" AC adapter?..>>

...Don't think so, but it depends upon what they ask you to return.

<<...Is the Power Cover also defective?!.>>

...Unlikely. The Power Cover probably isn't working right because of problems inside the Pro.

<<...I do have the insurance plan, but not excited about losing my licenses for Acrobat Pro Extended and Office 2013...>>

...Of course, you periodically backed up your SSD, right...? To be serious, once you reload Office, you should have no difficulty reactivating it. As for Acrobat, you may need to contact Adobe, but it shouldn't be a problem with them, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.