SP 4 Light Bleed

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Allarih, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my shiny new SP4 - i7 version and there is some noticeable light bleed. Well, it's only really noticeable on black screen in dark room with "brighter" or "brightest" brightness settings but it still bugs me. I can see it during the boot - with Surface logo on black screen - and I'd like such expensive device to be perfect.

Here is a comparison with retina MPB 13" - in dark room with both devices on max brightness. Is it OK for surface or should I change it?

Thanks.

WP_20160216_19_55_22_Pro.jpg

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry - just can't get worked up about "light bleed" as I've never seen how it impacts regular use of a laptop/tablet. I guess if it bothers you, take it back.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it's only really noticeable on black screen in dark room with "brighter" or "brightest" brightness settings...>>

...I think you answered your own question. Keep it.

Judging the quality of a piece of hardware based on an essentially irrelevant operating state isn't a very productive activity...

dstrauss likes this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea they all have some form of lightbleed... but you never see it during real workload... so if your happy and everything else is ok I would keep it but that's up to you of course.

Allarih likes this.
  5. Allarih

Light bleeds usually get worse with time. It might be barely noticeable now but in the future it might become a problem. I love surface - it probable the best PC I ever had and even if I'll return it I'll do that only to exchange it for another Surface.

My question is - how common this is? And if I'll exchange my unit how much chances I have to get one with less bleed?

6. dstrauss

My point is that I don't think most people even notice, much less look for, light bleed, so it will be hard to say how common it is.

7. Allarih

It's noticeable every time on the "turning-on" screen with white surface logo. Do you have it too?

8. dstrauss

I'll try to concentrate next time - just never noticed it (although I had a SP2 that did, and never really noticed it until pointed out by another user in our office - nice to be old and vision challenged).

Allarih likes this.
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here. If I want to look at a black screen without light bleed, I'll just power down :)

Yea, I get that you see it when it wakes from hibernate or power up, but the point being the screen looks good when you're actually using it. Every tablet I've used does the same thing as well as my TP notebooks. My Nexus10 would drive me crazy with it as I'd swear one side of the screen was darker than the other, gradient type of light fading. Not a big deal but when I was reading on it especially using the kindle app, I would distract myself looking for it - is it there or my imagination. Ahhhh.

10. Allarih

It became worse - there is more bleed around the screen now. And I have tons of blue screen of death today - this is completely unacceptable for premium device Surface brand is trying to be. I'm exchanging it.