Sooooo... what does everyone think of the new Edge browser?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dceggert, Mar 17, 2020.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

My Surface Go showed up with it overnight one day (14-Mar I think). It worked okay and YouTube seems to load quicker now. Google had been causing trouble for me with the old one.

So I put it on my Elite x2 and my Venue 8P (still with Win 8.1) and all my settings and shortcuts sync'd which is nice.

Other than that it browses so as a browser is concerned it seems to be working for me anyway. Anyone else get it and have an opinion?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I love it, but on ARM it's been giving me trouble playing Netflix and Amazon Prime. Using the "stable" version of a modern browser and NOT being able to use two super common video providers is unacceptable imo. Shame on me for using Windows on ARM I guess.

Other than that I like having less Google in my life, futile as this may be. After some initial booboo's, bookmark sync has worked well for me, so that's nice. Next up, please sync custom searches. It's a pain to set up my custom searches on every device that I own.

Other good news: CCleaner (use with care) now supports the new Edge, so you can whitelist a bunch of login cookies and clear all others.

thatcomicsguy and dceggert like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The siren call of Windows-lite has lured many a man over the years to being shattered on the rocks and drowned in the surf.

Though, back before the 'netbook' I had a cute little mini-computer running Windows CE, and it was super cute! I was getting 13 hours of up-time. I only stopped using it because the screen broke off.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, back then, the very idea of using Photoshop, or a pen (!!), on a portable was laughable. I was using it for writing on the go, in cafes and such. I was often the only guy in the whole coffee shop with a laptop.

Different times!

Bronsky, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't see how it can be an option --- I can't efficiently/reasonably select text in Google Chrome with a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus, how does one use this for more than media consumption?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I guess it's OK in terms of speed, but I keep getting freezing and it's not platform specific because I'm seeing the same behavior on three different brands of computer (but all running production Windows 10). Closing and reopening Edge usually fixes it...

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting, I can't recall my last freeze in Edge. Do you have many extensions?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do you have many extensions?..>>

None; unless something self-installs during a standard download

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

For some reason, I just got it. It is a vast improvement over the Edge it replaces.