Sooo.... Does anyone think they will add more tablet functions in Win10, or are we stuck?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, but this screenshot from the digital lifestyle's video hands on shows how poor tablet mode is. How can anyone propose those tiny icons in the notification area are suitable for tablet use? Plus look at the wasted space the apps list takes up, its really poor design.

[​IMG]

2. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Very frustrating to see...

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

What's most frustrating is the fact that Windows tabs are *finally* starting to get a good amount of positive press such that it seems as though the general public is starting to take them seriously. I just watched a piece on some Fox News show about Consumer Report's best buy tablets; both the lack of an iPad and the inclusion of a Windows tablet (the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 8) were notable. And I'm seeing this increasing inclusion of Widows tabs (and occasional bumping-down of iPads) on similar lists (see the recent TPCR college tabs list, as just one other example).
    Windows 10 could seriously take the wind out of the sails, as it were, when it comes to the momentum built up behind Windows tab sales. Too bad, really. Who wants to buy Tablet 2 8 (Windows) if you're stuck with a constantly on taskbar, have to navigate tiny thumbnails on your recent apps list, etc. *sigh*

efjay and ile like this.
  4. cool8man

cool8man Pen Pal - Newbie

The Lenovo Yoga Tablets are soooooo good. It breaks my heart to see what they are doing to Windows 10. I really thought when Myerson and Belfiore took charge of Windows it would become more like Windows Phone with it's beautiful well thought out design. I can't believe the lack of respect for Windows tablet and phone users. That image of Windows 10 in portrait mode just screams Windows 7 on a tablet. I really want Windows 10 to be a good tablet experience because I think Cortana and Action Center are important improvements for a tablet user. Unfortunately everything I see of the new UI and web browser tells me that they are merely supporting tablet use rather than building something that is meant for tablets.

ile, HJK and efjay like this.
  5. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

looks way better than the actual tablet mode. By the way what kind of dockinstation is he using there

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't understand how MS thinks copying android by going to a notification bar, with nav buttons, is a step forward. It took me all of 2 minutes to get used to W8 gestures, and it feels so natural to swipe apps away, swipe down to close, etc. Especially on smaller tablets, I think it's a wrong direction to go in.
    Yeah, it's nice that the apps know how to orient themselves when on a tablet versus a monitor, but how many people are really going to be switching back and forth, docking and undocking their devices? Not as many as MS envisions, I think.
    As of now it doesn't look to me like W10 is an upgrade for tablet users, rather a step back.

7. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

It's nice to see them give the ability to hide the file list in tablet mode. In portrait mode on such a small tablet, you might even be able to reach all your tiles while holding it by the side... but switch it to landscape, and they still have a vertical scroller where only the tiles at the edges are reachable without holding it in one hand and poking in the middle.

Moving the back button out of the application and down on the taskbar makes it unlikely we can hide the taskbar, further on jamming a tiny and essential button between the Windows button and Cortana seems less than optimal. On the upside, it is now universal, so if I open a PDF from the mail client I should be able to click the back button to go back to mail. That takes a little of the pain away from loosing the swiping between applications.

All that being said, if the touch UI isn't like a red flag in front of a bull to you (like it is for me), there's still a lot of stuff that's very exciting. The way they're treating data is pretty amazing (and more than a little scary with all the machine learning and cloud storage). With powerful and simple ways to visualize and the ability to pull up that data from multiple sources, liberating it from the application it was created in (as they showed at Ignite, where Cortana could actually pull up data from Power BI and work with it for you. In the long term I think that's where the real transformation is - but in the meantime it seems we're going to have to deal with a less-than-optimal touch interface (I'm in a good mood today, another day that summary would have been filled with expletives : )

HJK likes this.
  8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, it doesn't look to me like we are to a point where Win 10's tablet mode is as good as Windows 8.1 on tablets, but it does look like we are getting to the point where it is something I could live with.

9. P40L0

P40L0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 10 "Experience" on my Surface Pro 3 is still somewhat worse and downgraded compared to my stock 8.1

So here's some:

>SUGGESTIONS to further improve Windows 10 "Tablet Mode" starting from build 10074:

•Permanently hideable taskbar option while in Tablet Mode, for a real full-screen immersive experience like 8.1 (option to be: Hidden on Boot, and it should be visible with a simple "swipe-up from bottom" gesture, and hidden again with the same swipe);

•Full Screen / Metro Edge Toggle: for a real immersive experience like Metro.IE11 on 8.1 (full content only, no taskbar, nav bar and tabs only show with a swipe gesture from upper bezel);

•Bring back pages swipes "Back/Forward" in Edge like it is now with Metro.IE11 on 8.1;

•IE TPLs (Tracking Protection Lists) compatible with Edge by RTM: even if we have to wait for real extensions, I will refuse myself to use a browser without a decent form of Advertising/Popup-blocking and Privacy/Tracking protection. I need "EasyList" "EasyPrivacy" and "Fanboy" TPLs at least fully working with Edge by RTM;

•Improve App Switching gestures, for example: quick swipe from left edge to right -> Flip recents apps, like 8.1 ; while swiping from left edge to right, holding, and then swipe back to the left -> open the new Task View and App Switcher (instead of old 8.1 "Apps list Charm", but same gesture);

•Re-style ALL Windows 10 icons: the 10074 ones are still TERRIBLE. Very vary badly designed, and distracting to look at. I already know a lot of people that won't upgrade their OSes just for the bad look of them (considering they spent 8+ hours a day looking at them, they're not to blame). Flat design on the whole OS is ok, but it needs to be elegant and polished, and not just created in 5 minutes with MS Paint. 8.1 icons set is so much elegant and refined right now.

If you agree with me, go HERE , and cast your +3 Vote.

Or go THERE and Discuss it with the official Insiders Community.

Thank you

will567, ile and JoeS like this.
  10. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I love Android, but making Windows for tablets more Androidish is a terrible idea. That said, I'm happy with with Windows 8.1 so I'm not in a rush to upgrade. The only thing is that I hope if they do introduce a Windows 10.1, it comes out before that free upgrade from 8 to 10 expires.

For me, the perfect OS, would be Windows 8.1 desktop with Android replacing Windows Metro. I know that would be impossible to pull off, but I can dream can't I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.