Sooo.... Does anyone think they will add more tablet functions in Win10, or are we stuck?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel foolish for not having found that. Even so, it is frustrating that it is tucked away like that. Also, and to the point, the Edge menu is clearly meant to be accessed by the click of a mouse, not by the touch of a fat human thumb.

It would be nice if, once in tablet mode, Edge automatically reconfigured to look something like the modern IE of Windows 8.1, with the url bar on the bottom where your thumbs are and large tabs available when you swipe up.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Of course merging the desktop and modern apps was a huge step forward. On the balance, Windows 10 is a huge improvement over Windows 8.1; there's no doubt about that.

The point is, though, that in merging the desktop and the modern interface, Win 10 starts with the desktop use and then tweaks it slightly for tablet mode, whereas 8.1's modern interface was built around tablet use--honestly that's why it was so reviled by everyone except the small niche of users (myself included) who totally embraced the smaller Windows tablets.

If smaller devices like the Andromeda and Surface Go take (which I'm not terribly optimistic about), then I'm hoping maybe we'll see MS turn their attention back towards building a version (or versions) of Windows 10 that are both a) primarily oriented in UI towards <10.1 inch tablet usage like Windows 8.1 was and also b) able to run legacy apps without compromises, emulators, or separate desktop environments, the way Windows 10 currently does.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.