Sooo.... Does anyone think they will add more tablet functions in Win10, or are we stuck?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After uninstalling windows 10 off my SP3 in disgust some time ago I started thinking about it again. The loss of the charms bar, swiping through apps/desktop, full screen apps, etc will most probably keep me from upgrading to Win10. I just feel as if I lost way too much touch tablet functionality.

I'm quite surprised at this massive disconnect Microsoft has, but ironically it's probably the same disconnect they had with desktop users in 8.0 and with the entire start button fiasco, which is still very much alive and well with the atrocious win10 start button/menu.

With a "summer" release do you guys think any touch tablet features will be added in, or new ones invented? I'm hoping against hope that Win10 doesn't go live the way it is now, but I can't see them adding much this late to the game.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think all we're going to see from here is small tweaks, to be honest.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I know I shouldn't get upset over things I cannot change, but can I get upset over things that MS suggested we could change? C'mon Microsoft, I just need like four option toggles that take hardly any coding. Pretty please?

wataru likes this.
  4. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think, we will see anymore big changes coming to Windows 10.0. I think the will take the comments from the insider program to deliever a better Windows 10.1 release.

Microsoft also talked about an update for Windows 8.1 RT. I really hope it contains the universal Apps, and that the same update will be available for Windows 8.1 on Intel Chips as well. If this is the case, i won't upgrade to 10 except on my desktop pc :)

Windows 10 on tablets is not a good experience.

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe there will be third party software coming to the rescue to restore the 'Windows 8' mode?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I think we'll see some more refinements, we haven't seen all of the adaptive UI yet, some of that is still coming as they continue development on the ARM and Xbox side. Spartan is still in its infancy, some of the stuff I've seen I can't talk about and not sure it will be in the GA (or even preview) Bits as they are still doing some internal experiments.

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At this rate, I see myself sticking with 8.1 until 10.1 is released...

dceggert, alextrela182 and jhoff80 like this.
  8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am hoping the biggest improvment they have announced for us, pen users : the capability to write anywhere.

I am ready to loose everything else, if they do it.

9. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You seem to have great insight into the process which most others don't. Is Microsoft aware that they are going backwards in regards to tablet functions? I don't know if we will see a backlash from tablet users like we did with desktop users and 8.0, but I wouldn't be surprised, it just seems Microsoft is seriously disconnected from how consumers use their tablets.

My concern is that eventually Win10 will be forced upon us, probably with the surface pro 4 which I'll most certainly buy. I hope there is a downgrade path, although it stings to pay money for Windows 8 to downgrade. I wonder if I can use any of the pre-installs I have on my various tablets.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I have the privilege of living the in-between world, I work for a Technical Marketing Company who has Microsoft as its largest customer, I'm a Surface MVP and I'm known to the Windows Client Team as a long time opinionated TabletPC user who lives locally to the Redmond Campus but who is not an employee....

Parts we're seeing already, the new Ink Input is actually really good when you figure out how it works (using sentence fragments, hitting space inserts text and you continue writing).

I get to interact with Microsoft Employees who are on the Daily Build Meal Plan for the Microsoft Dog-fooding Program and I tend to be very observant. I saw the Office 2016 UI back in December that would later be released to testers in February. But I like my MVP and Employee Status so I will not break my NDAs :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.