Sony's new Digital Paper

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

After some three years it seems Sony is ready to update their e-ink PDF reader/annotator with a new model at a slightly lower price point and higher resolution together with what looks like a quad core CPU.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks awesome! The pen attachment looks possibly a bit weak, but otherwise I'm in! If only it had OneDrive sync. But I'll manage. I know the details are sketchy, but when is this expected to be fore sale in the USA again?

For those interested, there's a huge thread on this device on mobileread.

Edit: for sale at B&H now. Unfortunately the US version is black. I would have much preferred white borders, bummer.

Also, for anyone considering this devices, as of late August 2017 this device does not have a 'go to page' function. You read that right, you can't go to page 243 directly, you either flip through thumbnails 16 at a time, or you drag a tiny scroll bar and try to land close to the correct page. There are some workarounds, but honestly it's crazy that that's not available yet. They're working on it supposedly..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Kumabjorn

It will be released in Japan May 5th, no word on the U.S. Totally with you on the OneNote/OneDrive sync/compatibility issue. But, supposedly you can root it and run regular Android.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

JoeS and bloodycape like this.
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

Oops..

upload_2017-8-19_22-48-47.png

6. JoeS

Quoting all the DPT-RP1 discussion from the Remarkable thread starting with an edited version of my mini rave review:

Having used a Sony DPT-RP1 for a while, four huge benefits of this over say an iPad Pro:

(1) it has low battery consumption and therefore long battery life: 21 hrs of active (slow) reading with wifi off, 7 hrs with wifi on
    (2) it has an e-ink screen ('reflective') so it's as easy to read as paper in direct sunlight. You can even read comfortably wearing sunglasses
    (3) it doesn't get hot, so you can be out reading a book in direct sunlight for a long time without the RP1 getting uncomfortable to hold
    (4) because it uses little power it can be super light (small battery). The Sony is more than letter size, but it weighs only 350g or 12 ounces, about as much as two iphones. It really feels like a magazine.

Both true. But you can tell the app to sync with a (locally synced) OneDrive folder, so once the app does its thing, all my devices have the annotated file. The app works over wifi as well, so you don't have to plug in. If you like I guess you can keep the app running, and it will auto-sync at a preset interval. It's not the most convenient, but since I'm going through a 500 page book exclusively on the DPT, it works fine for me.

The screen is pretty great, so good that I tried to peel the information sheet off it. Turns out the screen was on. :D It's about as white as a kindle paperwhite, which is to say: still way less white than a piece of paper. Great to look at in a well lit space. Not backlit though.

Not sure about the pen tech, it's not the best imo. My already bad handwriting looks even worse, and the screen is pretty rough, resulting in a 'scratchy' feeling. But at least you can zoom in and write larger, which cleans up the handwriting.

Honestly I assumed newer was better, and I apparently didn't do my homework! :) Presumably the RP1 is a lot faster though, which is important to me as I sometimes read papers with pretty heavy graphics. The RP1 is also quite a bit cheaper than the S1. And I'm embarrassed to say I haven't let loose any of my many pens on this thing. I have Wacom EMR, AES, iPencil, and NTrig at home, so I'll check later today or tomorrow.

Update: I tried all my pens, and unsurprisingly only the included stylus works. I actually don't have a Wacom AES, so the only ones I tried were Wacom EMR, iPencil, and NTrig, none of which do anything on the RP1. Bad news, because a first-party replacement will cost $80..

Unrelated, I just learned that it should have about 21 hrs of battery life when reading 1 page every two minutes with wifi off, and 7 hours with wifi on. Sony obtusely states 'three weeks', with as fine print 'if you use it one hour per day with wifi off', and one week with wifi on reading 1 hour per day. Interesting way of reporting battery life! :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    kvoram and Marty like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Have you checked if it is possible to root the device?
    It is a pity that it is strictly limited to PDF files only. Imagine if you could run Android OneNote on it. That would be one sweet device.

8. JoeS

I haven't, right now I'm simply using it as intended. There is this one YouTube video supposedly showing it hacked to run Android, but there's not been much talk of that since. Given how well it does the one simple thing that it's designed for, I'd be hesitant to mess with it tbh.

9. Kumabjorn

Almost $700 for reading PDF files only seems a bit steep to a working girl. But as long as you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

10. JoeS

Definitely steep, but the pain of spending the money is long gone, so now all that remains is the joy of picking up this feather light device and comfortably reading those dang science books. :)