Sony Vaio Tap 11 User Lounge: "What you LIKE about Tap 11?"

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by MikeZ, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

You are welcomed to share your POSITIVE insights and tips about using this new Windows 8 Sony tablet, in order to improve user experience and productivity.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

3. matevam

matevam Pen Pal - Newbie

Just changed from Acer S7 11" to Sony Tab 11. Had it for a month and Acer for a year. Prior to that I was on a MacBook for a few years.

Am discovering the tablet mode apps and checking out those that works across ios and windows.

Back to the tablet. Am using it as my sole computer for personal and work. I still use the iPad more for personal mobile needs.

As a computer it is decent and the most CPU intensive program I use is google earth and it works fine.

My main complaint for now is the occasional keyboard black out. Hope it is a software driver thing that can be upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

5. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

To save battery charge life, the Battery Care Function in Vaio Control Center can help to prevent over charging when its plugged in for a long time. Its a great little setting. (See image below)

Now I can plug in overnight while sleeping, and the battery will only fully charge till morning, so I don't have to worry about overcharging and able to extend my Tap 11's battery life :D-

Capture2.jpg Capture.jpg

6. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

No more blurry Google Chrome texts in desktop mode.
    Here is the link to fix all programs show up with blurry text:

Google Groups

7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Pen Pal - Newbie

actually without using the battery care mode, vaio tap 11 wont overcharge the battery.
    from lithium battery theories, the "80%" mode should give the best battery longevity.

but how much it will add to battery longevity? a day longer? a year longer? nobody knows. Even sony did not say how much battery longevity it prolong.

8. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  9. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi I have had my Tap 11 now, for three days. Overall I like it very much. It replaces a Dell Latitude 10, which in turn replaced an Asus EP 121. The machine is noticeably lighter than the Latitude 10. It is also noticeably faster. I had ordered a Dell Venue 11 Pro, but the fact that the order kept being delayed due to 'configuration problems' and the poor reports on pen performance made me decide to cancel.

I have the i5 version with 128gb drive and 4gb RAM. This machine is very like a 'much' thinner and lighter version of the EP 121. So it has all the things I liked about that tablet, but without the weight penalty. My only niggle so far is that battery life is only marginally better than the Asus and considerably worse than the Dell.

The ntrig stylus seems as good as the wacoms on both the Dell and the Asus. I do a lot of note taking and graphics work. So, the pen is most important to me.

The kick stand is good, if a little narrow. It works, up to a point, in both orientations. At the moment I am typing this with the machine top end down, so to speak, and supported at just the right angle for on screen typing. Whether the stand loosens to the point where it will just collapse under the weight of the tablet or the impact of my fingers remains to be seen. However only a gentle pressure is needed on the on-screen keyboard so maybe it will last.

The physical keyboard provided has a kind of flimsy, cheap feel about it. But it is adequate to the task of light use. However, as I use my tablets as single machines (for work and home use), I think I am likely to find a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combination for writing long papers and reports.

The keyboard fits magnetically to the front of the machine. The magnets are lightly powered (probably so as not to interfere with the workings of the machine). So there can be some slippage between the two. I wouldn't like to warrant that the two would not just come apart if jostled, say inside a loose bag. So I have invested in a neoprene slip case that provides a snug fitting cover to the combination.

The power supply brick is quite small and has a USB socket, which is designed to take the router you can buy as an addition. Whether it can be used to charge USB devices or not I don't know. The one on the Asus could.

I like the power connector though. It is a 'pop-out' which will not drag your valuable tablet off the desk and onto the floor if you catch it with your foot.

The machine has one USB socket, which can be used for charging devices. It has a micro HDMI socket and a slot for a micro SD card. These are all under flaps, which are a bit flimsy. The Asus had these and many users simply snipped them off, as they became loose and difficult to reinsert after use. With the Sony though, if you remove these or they keep coming loose, it would spoil the looks of what is a beautiful device.

One other niggle: The volume rocker and power button are very close together, so it is easy to turn the device off when you wanted to turn the music up.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and, despite a few imperfections I think I am going to be even closer to my goal of 'one device for everything' than before.

pictogramax and MikeZ like this.
  10. MikeZ

MikeZ Pen Pal - Newbie

My Stylus AAAA battery showing signs of running out after 2 months of on-off use. Haven't done any heavy drawing / note taking with it yet.
    As I was looking to buy new ones online, I came across a site talks about an alternative of "farming" AAAA's from Duracell 9V (Don't try with any 9V, you could harm yourself).
    So I just opened up a Duracell 9V battery and confirm it has 6x AAAA size batteries for my Stylus. Yeah!!!
    Will update you my progress once I got it work in my stylus.
    photo (20).jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.