Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll probably get one when it comes out then to keep my Duo 13 company.

Anyone know if this can output 4K? Will it have HDMI 2.0 so it can output 4K at 60hz?

2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a very good point. If they are doing 150% scaling, then it's definitely a better choice.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Why is 150% scaling better than 200% scaling? I'm confused on this. Or is it that somehow one res is better than another? I don't use high res screens, so it's all rather unclear to me, but I'm sure if I get one of this new crop of tablets I'll have a HD screen. Might as well learn now....

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well one reason is some programs ignore this scaling, so the more you have to scale the worse the problem is when it occurs.

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It's about screen real estate. These very high resolution displays natively have a lot of real estate. However, using them at their native resolutions is not very practical on laptop sized screens (even with proper UI scaling). Hence manufacturers set the scaling to greater than 100% of lower resolutions and use the high resolution of the display to make text etc. look sharper.

The MacBook Pro Retina 15 scales down to 1,440x900 and the 13 to 1,280x800. Both look twice as 'sharp'.

Any resolution up to the native resolution can be used, so more real estate can be obtained e,g, a 3,200x1,800 display can be set to 1,920x1,080. You don't however get any added sharpness. In effect, you lose all benefit of the high resolution.

Now, as far as I understand it, there are only certain scaling ratios you can scale to. Assuming you can scale to 150%, then the Flip 15 may be better because you will be able to have 1920x1080 with 150% scaling compared to 1,600x900 with 200% scaling. In other words, you will be able to have more screen real estate, which on a 15" may be important.

What I'm not sure about is whether a 3,200x1,800 display could go down to a lower resolution and then scale to 150%.

6. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like it is now up for pre-order in the US.

7. rpmlins

rpmlins Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the estimated ship date is 11/04/2013. I will wait for BlackFriday which is 29 and see if I can get a good discount. :D

8. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Black Friday is the 29th of November.

9. rpmlins

rpmlins Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats why I said I will wait fot it. because is close to the estimated ship date

10. hiI'mawesome

hiI'mawesome Pen Pal - Newbie

Where have you found it up for pre-order in the US? I've seen all the pricing news, but the Sony store website itself still doesn't have pre-order options (or even the product itself listed)..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.