Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinkamui

shinkamui Pen Pal - Newbie

I've ressurrected a ton of threads today :)

Sony Vaio Flip 15 is compatible with Microsofts wintab x64 drivers. They work pretty well so far. I have pressure sensitivity in Gimp, Krita Gemini, and a few other desktop apps that were wintab/wacom only. Screenie of Gimp, as thats the app i (and many others in this thread, have been asking about) on my sexy 15.

View attachment 6578

2. Makoto

Makoto Pen Pal - Newbie

I was planning on reading the whole thread in look for an answer (and i've been a long time lurker on the forums) but i couldn't find one after several pages, so i guess i'll resucite this thread haha.

I just got a Vaio Fit 14A (since it was on sale and i figured i'd never get a chance again since they are not making them anymore). It's a core i3/8gb ram/750gb hdd (SVF14N23) with touch screen (which works just fine). I plan on changing the motherboard eventually for an i5 one if i need the extra speed. The problem is i don't know if my model has the ntrig digitizer or not (i read there are some models that don't have it AFTER buying the computer, that's just my luck!).

Also, the vaio stylus are nowhere to be found in stores around here so i ordered some from ebay, but i won't be able to test the unit soon and i'd like to exchange it if it doesn't have the digitizer. My only other choice would be a Fit 11 so i'd rather keep this one and use the separate pen i got, so... is there something i could check to see if my model has the digitizer? something on the device manager/control panel or somewhere? i'd appreciate any help, thanks!

3. shinkamui

shinkamui Pen Pal - Newbie

System properties in windows will tell you if its touch and or pen enabled. If you can touch the screen with your hands and it responds its probably an ntrig duosense.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

4. Makoto

Makoto Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help! i didn't remember the system properties bit, seems that i won't be returning the 14A (it was pen enabled after all) so now i just have to wait for the pens to arrive :)

5. nuvolari7

nuvolari7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm interested in purchasing a Flip 14. Unfortunately, the stores near me don't have the Flip models on display.
    I have some questions about the laptop.

Is the graininess of the screen seen quite clearly?
    I will be using the laptop for light photoshop work.

What is the text quality like?
    I've been considering the Macbook Pro retina but it is quite a stretch on my budget. I wondered how clear the text is on the Flip.

How is display scaling?
    I'm using a 13" Samsung Ativ 9 book plus. It is set to 1920x1080 and 125% scaling. I use Yahoo Messenger so I have the these settings which make the program look large enough to be usable while keeping a reasonable text quality with some pixelation. Choosing other settings to make Windows have better text quality makes Yahoo Messenger and other programs appear blurry. I tried to disable the display scaling for the programs but it makes the proportions of the program not look right. I wondered if the Flip has scaling issues with older programs.

6. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

The displays on the Sony Flips are some of the best. I've tested the 15 and 14" versions and the displays are great. No issues with reading text. Most software still don't handle high dpi displays when it comes to UI, so you'll still have to deal with tiny menus and icons for the most part. You'll have the same scaling issues on the Flip that you had with your Samsung.

7. nuvolari7

nuvolari7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I read the screen is grainy. Is it very noticeable?

8. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw no graininess on the Flip displays. The displays are one of the best features of those laptops.

9. Makoto

Makoto Pen Pal - Newbie

No grain on the two flip 14 i've gone through. I'm going to get a third one, since every unit i've had delivered had an internal crack in the left upper part of the screen. Anybody had this issue happen to them?

10. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys,

I'm interested in buying a vaio flip 11 (the one with the lower processor) and I recently came up to this http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-comp/hotnews-vaio-fit11a

What do you think?Is it a safe purchase or is it going to explode in my face?The model I'm looking for is either the SVF11N1L2EP or the SVF11N1L2ES but the seller includes a .G4 right from the model number.Does this mean it is checked for the fault,or is it simply a random add in the model and I need be to concerned?

Thanks for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.