Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conor_

conor_ Pen Pal - Newbie

hey all

I just registered after finding this excellent thread on a google search about the Flip 15a

I am just about to purchase one of these - clearance stock/clearance price. Spec-wise it's the 15" Ci7/12GB RAM/1TB HDD/2GBgfx/Win8.1/Black

The question I have, and couldn't find in the thread ( I didn't read all 90 pages though...):

Is it possible to buy a replacement stylus?

I see N-trig mentioned regarding these so I guess that is the company Sony get the tech/hardward from, can the compatible pens be bought elsewhere?

I mainly see the Flip 15A as a good all-round family multimedia PC. It'll do for light gaming, store loads of photos and video, and has enough grunt to do Photoshop work and the odd bit of video editing. To me the graphics tablet function is a very nice fat cherry on top. My son the budding architect should get some use out of it.

Any other general comments about the Flip 15A gratefully received, with the above in mind, i.e. it's not being bought as a pro graphics tablet.

2. corktrek

corktrek Pen Pal - Newbie

Depends where you're based. In Europe the pen is near impossible to get unless you find one on eBay. I'm in the UK and had to import from a US seller.

The new Surface 3 Pen should be compatible when that comes out next month so that's a more easily available option. I'll probably pick one of those up too just to have a back-up.

3. corktrek

corktrek Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, found on the US support forums:

If you're still getting issues with the touch screen randomly not working in Windows 8.1 even with the services fix, try this:

1) Go to control panel.
    2) Device Manager.
    3) Human Interface Devices.
    4) In that list, select the second last option, USB input device.
    5) open it and select power management.
    6) UNCHECK, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    7) press ok
    8) Problem solved.

Kind of incredible this wasn't fixed in the firmware update pushed out last week but hey...

Still a wonderful machine and I'm still happy I own it and there's nothing on the market quite like it (especially for artists and designers, and I include the Surface Pro 3 in that. It's a great machine but still a smaller screen size.). A real shame we won't get to see a second generation. With just a few refinements a Sony Flip 2.0 would be incredible...

4. conor_

conor_ Pen Pal - Newbie

corktrek - thanks for the response. I haven't actually bought mine yet, just waiting to see if it and the stylus are in stock.

It looks a fine laptop anyway, even without the graphics tablet application, but obviously I'll want to have a working stylus!

5. Asus23

Asus23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anybody aware if there is an available or compatible power tip that works with the Energizer XP18000 Xpal External Battery for the Sony Flip.

6. CKwik240

CKwik240 Pen Pal - Newbie

Its discontinued so it is pretty much sold out everywhere. Those that do sell it online want an obscene amount for it. I spoke to a Sony Store Rep and he referred me to their service and repair center. They do have some and I was able to order it this morning. The number is 239-768-7691. The part# is VGPSTD2. It is selling at the normal price of $39.99 plus tax and shipping.

7. Unionpan

Unionpan Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update on my Flip13a auto shut off problem:
    In event viewer, kernel-power 41 error critical error was the message.
    I sent it in for Sony service the second time. The Flip 13a was restored to original Window 8 pro factory settings, then updated to the latest Window 8 drivers. The technician concluded that the auto shut off problem was a software issue not hardware. I noticed that Intel Smart Connect Technology was disabled. The first week back from Sony Service, I had one incident of auto shut off after updating to Window 8.1 pro, and it was when Window Update was running with auto install all updates. So I disabled Window Auto Update, and setting it to manual update. Knock on wood, for the last 3 weeks, my Flip 13a is humming along nicely :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. eng_aaa

eng_aaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,
    I am really confused and do appreciate if you guys help me.

I am thinking to buy the Vaio Flip 14A. It is now for 873$ in Canada Canada Computers | Notebooks, Netbooks & Tablets | SONY VAIO FIT 14A Touch Notebook SVF14N15CDS | 14" FHD Intel i5-4200U (1.6 GHz) 8 GB 500 GB HDD | Intel HD Graphics 4400 HDMI BT Win 8

I found it also in Future Shop but the guy there did not recommend it for me. He said its a very weak device, not reliable. Unlike what I usually hear, he said Sony is not a good PC manufacturer! He showed me a web page stating that Sony is giving up and sells its PC business by this new year. I don't care about all of this, I am just wondering if the device itself is sturdy and will stay with me for the coming 2-3 years? I do like the hinge and flip feature. I am PhD student and want something like this to take some notes as well as working on it as a Laptop.
    I tried before both Surface Pro 1 and Surface Pro 2. They are very fast, strong, and portable. But the screen size is very annoying to me (10.6"). My eyes get tired if I work or write on it for long time. Also, I did not like the feeling and typing on the type cover 2. So, I sold it and I am looking for a real Laptop with a stylus and touch. (even SP3 with 12" is not enough for me)

So, in short, and sorry for this long post,
    Do you guys recommend VAIO Flip 14 to me?
    Is it reliable? Sturdy?
    The most important issue for me is the screen hinge, are there any problems with it? does it develop cracks with the normal use? Because I read some disappointing reviews about it

9. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

I was also considering the Flip. The sales guy at the local Sony Store recommended the Flip 15 over the 14, as he said that they had less issues with the larger device. Seems like the main issue with the Flips is with the fan staying on too long, but I think BIOS updates fix that. I do have some concerns about the long term viability of the swivel screen hinge on the Flip, but that's something that can't be predicted without extensive use.

I'm still looking for a new laptop, and screen sizes are also important to me. Another laptop to consider is the Acer R7. It has specs very similar to the Flip 15, and a similar hybrid design with the same N-Trig pen digitizer. I actually almost bought a R7, but Future Shop screwed me over, and with the new Surface Pro 3 coming out (along with new models announced by Asus, HP and more to come soon), I am going to wait.

10. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol, no to both things. The fan is the same in the 13, 14 and 15 inch versions, so the problem is the same. And the main problem of the fan is the sound it makes, very VERY loud any time, even when the PC has just turned on, not when it is staying for so long. And as far as I have seen, this problem is caused for the bad aerodynamics of the fan, so a BIOS update won't solve the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.