Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragnerz

dragnerz Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anybody here had any problems with palm rejection with your flips? I just got the flip 14 a week ago, and everything's been going smoothly with my active pen, but today it started acting funky...

It works just as before when I don't touch the screen, but as soon as my palm rests on the touchscreen it becomes very jittery flying all over the place and registering frequent clicks when I apply pressure.

I've tried restoring, using sony's touchscreen calibration tool, but I can't get it to work properly again... Also, every once and a while palm rejection works, but when I lift my hand away and bring it back it's gone again. Very strange...

If anybody has any suggestions on what I can do I'd be more than grateful. Been trying to find some sort of driver I can try but I'm having little and disorientating luck.

2. dragnerz

dragnerz Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering if any of you have been having issues with palm rejection when using the sony active pen?

I have the flip 14. It's been working perfectly for me for a week, but today it started acting funky whenever I rested my palm on the screen, making frequent clicks and jumping around.

The pen works like normal when my hand is off the screen, so it's not the pen although later today I'll try replacing the battery. Also strange is that sometimes, or after some time of trying with frustration in artrage or onenote, palm rejection will kick in and input will be smooth again. Very weird.

My model is SVF14N11CXB. Any suggestions you guys might have I'd be more than grateful. I've tried doing a system restore to no avail, sonys touch screen calibration tool, and the wintab x64 driver recently released.

If it happens to be the battery, I'll post back here, although I only had the pen a few days so it'd be surprising if it's almost dead already, and worrisome.

3. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I am very pleased with my new copy of Manga Studio 5 EX on my Win8 Samsung Slate.
    The performance of this program could have some impact on my next PC purchase.

Are there any Flip15 owners here that are heavy MS5 users that can talk about the Flip 15 experience with this drawing program? I'm leaning towards the Fujitsu t904 (13"screen), but the 15" screen and graphics card of the Sony is looking pretty good for a few apps. I would think MS5 would benefit from the screen size as well as from the graphics card for things like canvas rotation.

Is the nTrig pen satisfying to those that may be used to Wacom?

Thx

4. corktrek

corktrek Pen Pal - Newbie

@dragnerz I had a few issues this part week but then realised I had the power set to 'battery saver' It's been fine when set to 'high performance'.

@Precurve So far the experience has seemed about the same. My other machine is a Samsung Slate and so far I've not really noticed any difference. I'll be really putting it through its paces over the next week though so will post an update if there are any problems.

Other question: I installed every update and am once again getting the random issues with the touch screen and digitiser layer stopping working. Everything else continues to work well but I've got to put the device in sleep and wake it up again to get the touch/pen input back. This is after updating the firmware and all other updates. Anyone else with this problem still?

Precurve likes this.
  5. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you replace the SSD on the Flip 13?

6. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, it is replaceable.

7. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does it void warranty?

Btw, does anyone have a comparison between the digitzer and wacoms? can it support the same amount of pressure levels?

8. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering getting the Flip 15, but I have a few questions if anyone can help answer:

1. Does the Flip 15 use gorilla glass or similar? I've used an old Toshiba laptop with a wacom digitizer for many years, and all my heavy drawing activity has resulted in visible wear on the screen surface. I do not want this to happen if I work extensively on the Flip!

2. In a similar vein to the above, how sturdy is the hinge system after long term use? I've seen a few models at BestBuy, Future Shop, and have noticed some wear and tear on the hinge mechanism. Granted, these are display models, but it's still a concern.

3. Does N-Trig work with Paint Tool Sai? If anyone has any experience using the Flip with this software, I would appreciate some feedback.

I also currently use Photoshop and will be using Manga Studio in the future, but my understanding is that there are no issues with either of those programs and N-Trig.

9. Denis_Cad

Denis_Cad Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a not so satisfied owner and Professional user of a brand new Vaio Flip 15 (SVF15N2C5E)...
    The machine in itself is very very nice...
    I must use it a lot with the stylus and touch screen,
    the laptop is also plugged to a Plugable UD-3900 dual-link station through USB3; On this station we have 2 Dell 24" (so it's a 3 screen display setup), a network cable, few USB2 external disks, a wireless mouse and keyboard.
    On the Bluetooth link there is a Sony headphone, etc...
    HOWEVER, I am having a lot of trouble with the screen which randomly FREEZES : anyway what I am doing, the Vaio screen starts to Flash and disappear... when I say disappear, it does not become full black like when you shutdown, but it goes to a very dark gray, showing that it is not off.

The ONLY way to try and get the screen back is to push on the power button to put the Vaio in sleep mode, then push it again to restart.
    I just wanting to know if some of you are experiencing this behavior ???

there are many users who complain about this, especially at the US and UK xxx.community.sony sites.
    I have tried all the proposed solutions : deactivate the USB power management in the HID devices,
    launched the panel calibration tool,
    unsinstall the Sony parser.

BUT SO FAR, it does NOT totally solve this important ISSUE

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  10. Denis_Cad

Denis_Cad Pen Pal - Newbie

Another issue discovered today... the front camera (webcam) works no more :mad:
    the device is present in the device Mgr, but greyed, it is like it's no more "physically connected" to the motherboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.