Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corktrek

corktrek Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally got my Vaio Flip! (14A / i5 / 8 / 128)

As Sony UK/Europe have essentially shut down their computer department overnight due to the sale (Any US people might want to look out for that, there was no warning on their website about this) I ended up having to get a refurbished model as you can no longer buy new models directly unless you're lucky enough to live near one of the maybe three Sony stores left in the country (and they have them in stock, which mine doesn't).

And for some reason, as of midnight one night they simply stopped selling the stylus. It was there one hour and gone the next and they're not willing to sell me one so had to import from the US! Madness...

So yeah, lots of bad experiences before I even got the thing...

Thankfully, for a refurbished model it looks as new, no scratches or dings, it looks gorgeous.

Good things: Fast, great screen.

Bad things:
    • Battery was dead on arrival so had to charge it before it would even switch on!
    • Came with Windows 8 so had to run about 90 updates before then updating to Windows 8.1 and running more updates, couldn't start using it for almost five hours after getting it.
    • There's a place in the box where a stylus would have gone so apparently I should have had a stylus with it but they didn't check it and won't find one for me from the stock that vanished the other week.
    • Was having graphics card issues with Photoshop - I installed an update and it seems better.
    • The fan noise! Good grief I know I'd seen complaints here but still wasn't prepared. I've installed the new BIOS and it is much better.
    • The touch screen keeps cutting out. One minute it works fine and then I've got to revert to the pen. I'm not using this as a tablet as much (but I will be for drawing when I get the stylus) so it's not as huge of an issue as it could be but it's still really annoying!

So, a bit of a nightmare, will see if Windows 8.1.1 fixes the touch issues and how this imported stylus works before making a final decision as to what to do next.

Anyway, thought I'd say thanks to all the people here who've been working things out; reading through your posts has been better than Sony support!

2. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

No, I don't think I like the sound of this. I was willing to wait till summer to late summer to see if there is something better than a Flip around the corner (preferably with wacom). Something cheaper than 1600 with a 13 inch or bigger screen. I will be beyond pissed if Sony US online store pulls this crap

Main question i guess: If I were to buy one now, will they honor their warranty and returns?

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That sounds like a horrible experience. I got my Flip 15A at Best Buy. @edo101, you may want to check there before going the online store route, just in case.

4. corktrek

corktrek Pen Pal - Newbie

Day 3 update:

There was frequent crackling from the speakers, I also needed to install the audio drivers from the Sony support site. These were in the Windows 8 section rather than the 8.1 section which is why I didn't grab them on day 1. Sound has been absolutely fine since.

The touch screen issue has been fixed by the HID service fix (set it to automatic rather than manual).

The fan also seems to have calmed down and at times it's actually pretty silent!

So yeah, it's been a rocky few days but it's settling in to be a great machine once all the quirks are sorted out. Which is fine for me, since I'm a big computer geek who's happy and confident enough to find stuff out and know where to find it out and also to be willing to spend the time needed.

None of my friends or family would have had the knowledge, time, or patience to do all this.

Really shocking that even though the fixes are out there Sony don't make the machine auto-download and install them asap. Vaio update didn't give me any of them, they all had to be done manually even after I tried going through that app first.

The stylus is on it's way from the US so fingers crossed there are no problems there and hopefully it'll all be smooth sailing from here on out.

Oh, only other issue I've had is Windows rather than Vaio based:

I've got the laptop set to 125% scaling, which is perfect, however when hooked up to my monitor I only seem to be able to get them both at 125% or both at 100%, even though I unchecked 'let me choose one scaling level for all my displays".

Ideally the laptop would be 125% and the monitor 100%. Hopefully Windows 8.1.1 will fix this next week as I thought Windows 8.1 already had dealt with this months ago... :S

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What are people averaging in terms of battery life on the Flip 13?

6. ajm

ajm Pen Pal - Newbie

My Vaio Flip 13a sometimes shut down as if i removed the battery... No signs of error.. After restarting the flip boots up without any signs of system error.. Even Vaio Care shows that system is working fine..

The shut down is not a hibernation.. I lose all my works.. Initially i doubted over heating.. But the room temperature is 68 f (20C).. It wasn't undergoing any stress.. The fan was spinning normally.. I experience ed this more than 5 times with in 3 months

Any advice dear friends...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Unionpan

Unionpan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the same issue with the flip 13, random shut down with no error message. Sony support suggested disabling all start up programs, then it happened again this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TomTim

TomTim Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi ajm, Unionpan,
    does your machine shut off and restart automatically afterwards?
    Does it happen while on the power supply or on battery? Or in both cases?
    Does your device feel hot on its surface?
    I had a desktop that behaved like that and it was the RAM in it, it crashed and booted automatically direct afterwards. Testing the RAM can be done with a tool called "Memtest86" they use it in a repair shop in my town. They let it run for 48hours.
    An other option (why I asked about the power supply / battery) could be a faulty power source which can crash a system. I can't tell exactly whats going on in your specific machine.
    I would complain and get the manufacturer to fix it or send a working unit, even though it might be hard to get them to replace it, since it's "only" crashing once a month ...
    I don't know if a software can crash a system to the point that there are no error messages / blue screen. I only have experienced my old system to freeze on some software (bad coded?) but never crashed without a blue screen so far.
    Good luck with your issue, TomTim

9. Unionpan

Unionpan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Tomtim

Thanks for the reply. In my case, there was no auto reboot. It happened with both battery and power plugged in. I will try the memory as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ajm

ajm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Tomtim

System simply goes off.. There is no system shut down... And need to manually restart..Funny thing is that there is no blue screen or error shown after reboot... It happens while on battery and ac...

Thanks for the rely..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.