Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Fan noise isssue solved with BIOS update for 13A or other flip models? Will anyone recomment Flip13/14/15A model to a prospective user? Did anyone buy Flip 11A? How will 11A will compare with Surface pro 2?

2. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

No it hasn't been fixed but in silent mode it's tolerable (talking only about the 13 here)
    Still on the audible side but not what I would call distracting.

From what I gathered silent mode doesn't seem to affect CPU performance negatively.

It might affect performance when both CPU and GPU are under load (i.e. when playing games) but I didn't check since that scenario is of no relevance to me.

The Flip 13 has some minor issues, fan noise being one of them, another is that the device is lifted up from the surface it stands on by its hinge when you open it up, this results in it not having a very good grip on the surface (there are no rubber feet on the part lf the hinge it will stand on) I resolved this by buying some self adhesive anti-slip pads and putting them on the back of the Flip -> it's not super pretty but it works.

Other than that it seems to work pretty reliably, however there are some reported issues with Windows 8.1 and the touch screen not reacting to input.
    But the Flip isn't the only device with that issue and I seem to have resolved it (unchecking "switch off to save energy" for both USB devices under device manager->input devices seems to do the trick)

So yeah I can recommend it.
    It's not perfect but it's one of the best of its class if you require one with its capabilities.
    If you just need a good ultrabook with touch input (not pen input) however then there are better options.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. Asus23

Asus23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you tell me how you reset your Flip. I tried it and got a message about a disk partition, which is over my head. Any tips would be appriciated.

4. Flyingcircus

Shut down your Flip and start up by pushing the assist button. This will bring you to the troubleshooting interface, from there you have the possibility to reset your Flip using the separate recovery partition on your hard drive (it doesn't show up in "my computer")
    This will reset your software to factory settings.

5. ChaosMageX

ChaosMageX Pen Pal - Newbie

After playing around with a Sony Vaio Flip 15 at my local Best Buy, I'm considering purchasing one myself. I've been out of touch with the convertible PC market lately, but this is first tablet PC I've seen in a long time that actually has a decent separate GPU, rather than just an "integrated" one on the CPU, as well as a large high definition screen, which is what really got my interest. At the moment I'm particularly interested in model SVF15N2ACXB.

However, before I do purchase it, I have a few important questions that I need answered, and I'm hoping that people here who already own one can answer them. This tablet PC looks very promising, and I'm willing to overlook the lack of an optical drive and my own bad history with Sony Vaio laptops as long as the answers to my questions look just as promising. I've ordered my questions by importance.

How easy is it to disassemble this laptop and upgrade its internal components?
    Can the CPU be replaced (for when the mobile version of the Intel Broadwell microarchitecture is released)?
    Can the RAM and Hard Drive be replaced and upgraded for increased capacity and speed?
    Can the display be replaced and/or disassembled to fix and/or replace the inverter, back-lighting, and digitizer if any of them should fail?
    This is probably a long shot, but can the GPU be upgraded (is it attached to the motherboard via an MXM slot)?
    What other internal components can be replaced and/or upgraded (such as the wireless card)?
    Is there a place where I can find a listing and serial numbers of its components, both internal and external?
    Is there a service manual somewhere online that describes how to properly disassemble it and replace its components?

Since it obviously isn't using Wacom technology, what digitizer technology does this tablet PC use?
    Can this technology be used by most if not all major art applications, particularly Photoshop and Paint Tool SAI?
    How many levels of pressure sensitivity does the pen have? Does it have tilt sensing capability?
    Is there a built in "garage" in the tablet PC's casing that can be used to hold the stylus when not in use, or at least a way of tethering it to the casing so it isn't easily lost?
    How hot does the underside of the display get when the stylus is being used a lot?

In the specifications, the third USB port is listed as "Charge". Does this mean that it can only provide power and is incapable of data transmission?

How good is the display? Does it have a wide viewing angle? Is it glossy or matted? How bad is the glare, both indoors and outdoors?

Are there higher capacity batteries available?

How convoluted is the process for upgrading the OS, such as Windows 8 to 8.1, without FUBARing the drivers?

These are all the questions I can think of for now, but if I come up with others, I'll add them to this post.
    The last question is the source of my bad history with Sony Vaio laptops. The last time I tried upgrading the OS on one, which in my case was Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate via an upgrade disk purchased from my university, it destroyed the sound drivers and left the computer silent for years until I could finally replace them. It also replaced the Vaio help system with the default Windows help system, and probably also did a bunch of other nasty things in the background that I never discovered because I mostly stopped using it after that epic upgrade fail.

Luckily, it seems like the drivers for the Sony Vaio Flip tablet PCs are more easily available, but I'm still very apprehensive about attempting an OS upgrade on any future Sony Vaio computer I might own.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. Flyingcircus

Disassembly looks fairly straightforward as most screws seem to be standard phillips screws.
    You can see the disassembled 15" model here

Inside of a Sony Vaio Flip 15 (in case it's of use to anyone!)

On the 15" model you can exchange RAM (2 slots) SSD/HDD and the wireless transmitter but not more afaik. The CPU is soldered on, don't trust what the guy in the forum says.
    The Haswell ULT models aren't available with sockets only with BGA (and you can of course not buy them in the shop either)

I cannot answer either of that.

See above

This too I cannot answer.

N-trig

It works in photoshop (only 32bit I believe) however I'm not a professional Artist so you might want to ask someone else about this.

Never heard of that feature before but I assume it means the digitizer recognizes the tilt of the pen? If so then I don't think it does, at least I never noticed any such feature.

No.
    It does sort of attach to the built in magnets of the Flip display mechanism but I'm pretty sure it's not intended to work that way and it's also not a very reliable means of transportation.. it just helps with not dropping the pen on the ground when moving the Flip around.

Usage of the pen doesn't have any effect on temperature that I'm aware of.

This usually means "sleep and charge" which means you can charge a device even when the Notebook is in sleep or hibernation mode.

It's IPS and has good viewing angles but it does have a slight gamma shift at a very narrow angle so may not be useful for you if you're a professional artist.
    It's glossy (glass) but brightness at max levels is pretty high so it can be viewed both indoors and outdoors without too much trouble.

Not that I'm aware of.

Haven't had any issues except for the crashing touchscreen which many touchscreen devices exhibit when using 8.1. Workarounds (or fixes) for the Flip exist however.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Asus23

Asus23 Pen Pal - Newbie

One more query, will the separate revovery partition be obvious to locate through the process or is there anything I need to do in advance of the process. regards

8. Flyingcircus

It should be pretty obvious.
    Just enter the recovery tool and see for yourself, you can't really break anything by just taking a look :)

9. Denis_Cad

Denis_Cad Pen Pal - Newbie

Talking about the Flip's pen capabilities,
    I just want to let you know that there is another thread, from yesterday I guess, talking about :
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/artists/61706-n-trig-publishes-64-bit-wintab-driver.html

Any feedback from someone who has installed these drivers yet ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

So are the fan noise problems now gone with updates? Do the fans bother y'all anymore. Its been one of the main factors stopping me from buying this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.