Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure if there's a hardware button, but a quick way to (de)activate rotation lock is to swipe from the right, hit settings, hit 'screen', and tap the lock icon.

2. ThornyJohn

ThornyJohn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, that works in a pinch and it's a lot quicker than digging through the Control Panel. All the Windows tablets I've used until now have always had a physical rotation lock button, so it never occurred to me to do it your way. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. Denis_Cad

Denis_Cad Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan to buy one Flip 15 with one of the Nvidia GPU option...
    I'd like to understand what would be the best way to connect 2 x 24" monitors to a Flip 15 ?
    I've seen there's an HDMI but how to connect the 2nd screen ? resolution would be on both 1920 x 1200
    the anwser might be obvious for most of you... but I'm mainly using workstations with graphics boards that are having the good connectors...
    How does it work on such laptops/convertibles

4. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Although it is similar to my work set up shown back in post #806, where I have an external monitor for the Flip and along with two additional monitors for the work pc, at home I have a more simple setup.

[​IMG]
    ^ This is my home setup. Two Asus 1920 x 1200 monitors connected to two Plugable VGA-165 USB VGA/DVI/HDMI Graphics adapters, which in turn are connected to a USB 3.0 hub that is connected to the USB port of the Flip.

If it was only one external monitor than naturally I would just connect the ext monitor to the HDMI port. But with two or more monitors, I find the Plugable adapters very useful especially if I want to add a third one in the future. (btw Amazon has different models). Actually I just noticed this one that reduces the number of adapters and can do two monitors.
    Now mind you it doesn't have to be Plugable, I believe there may be other similar products out there that may do the job too.

TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Denis_Cad

@twospirits : Thks a lot for your help and sketch ! very interesting setup you're having...
    I gonna follow your advices, again THX

6. Natejka7273

Natejka7273 Pen Pal - Newbie

HI everyone! I'm thinking of buying the flip 15 and was wondering if I could get some quick input:

1. Would you say at this point that the computer is relatively bug-free with all the patches that are now available?
    2. Is there any reason not to get the ultra hi-res screen, aside from price?
    3. Can the DDR3L ram be replaced with regular DDR3 ram? I have a 16gb kit, but it's not low voltage.
    4. Do you think the configuration options will ever be upgraded to the 4300U/4600U processors or is the sale of the Vaio line going to halt all future updates?

Thanks!

7. Denis_Cad

This is a good question, I also plan to buy one Flip 15...
    There was an announce made at CES 2014 by Sony saying they would upgrade their Flip range for the end of February...
    some said that they would ship the machines with windows 8.1 and various soft updates, only, so nothing really special or upgraded in reality;
    Maybe we could wait a bit & see what they'll do ?
    For the rest of your questions, I also wonder if the ultra-res. is worth it?
    Let's see if actual users can give their feelings...

8. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

i have the hi res screen and to be honest it is amazing ...i couldnt bring myself to use a 1080p screen..the resolution is superb and my eyes dont hurt with long use ....now to the downside...ive got the i7 version and i set the brightness to 30 percent which is great ..i am lucky if i get 4 and half hours battery life...if i add a samsung evo 256gb i will get another 30min battery life...i think the screen eats the battery ..i could be wrong but everyone with the 1080p screen is getting 6 hours with screen brightness at 50 percent ..link to 15a review with the 1080p screen ........if battery life isnt importnat i would say dont hesitate the 2880 x 1620 screen is gorgeous ...another thing for people is the reds on this are red ..compare other laptops and they tend to look orange ..thats why i love this display becasue it has the best colours ive ever seen in a laptop

Sony Vaio Flip 15 Review - Laptop and Windows Convertible Reviews by MobileTechReview

9. Denis_Cad

Thks for sharing ! hummm this "short range" of 4 hrs is an issue for me,
    by the way do you use the stylus with this resolution ? does it work perfectly on so many pixels ?

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great question! Can the resolution of the display exceed the resolution of the digitizer? I've got the 1080p version and it works perfectly, but at 1620? My guess is that the digitizer will be much coarser.