Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just out of curiosity how much was this configuration? Did you buy it online from Sony?

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've got a friend looking to buy a PC in a more traditional form factor than the Surface that I personally enjoy so much. She had bought a Lenovo U430 Touch, but is having terrible wifi dropouts with the Intel 7260 single-band card in that model where Windows constantly sets it to Limited. I've seen a bunch of forum posts (30 pages on Notebook Review, for example) where people are having the same issues with that card.

I've been helping her look more closely at alternatives, and one of them that we're checking into is the currently $699 Flip 14A. She's taking classes (and had been temporarily using my old XT2 for this purpose as well until it died) so the pen input option would actually be very helpful here.

One thing I've noticed is that this model uses a different wireless card, the Broadcom BCM43142. However, I've been seeing some reviews complain about connectivity on this one as well. So I have to ask, does this model Vaio still have terrible wireless?

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Amazing price. I wish there were tablet PC sales numbers, because that price means either Sony is dominating the market or that sales are terrible.

4. rbar3154

rbar3154 Pen Pal - Newbie

Last week I received my VAIO FLIP 15A with 1 TB Hybrid HDD, intel I5, 8GB of ram, 1080p display and 2GB NVIDIA.

So far no problems with the fan or the touchscreen.

I upgraded drivers in Windows 8, later I upgraded the bios to 250 from the 220, and finally I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

Everything working perfect with the new bios in windows 8.1.

Really nice to use it in table mode with such a big and nice screen.

Ruben

Attached Files:

ATIVQ likes this.
  5. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Fellow members,

I have a question but have no idea where to post it. I'll briefly explain it but if there is a better section for me to post up the issue, please let me know and I'll remove this post and post it up in the correct section.

Ok, I have the Flip 13a, and use it for both at home and at work. (Work wise its really just to cruise the net while my work pc is running macros and basically can't do anything else while they run). But instead of having to physically reach over to the Flip to use its keyboard and touchpad, I attached a KVM hub so I only have to use 1 keyboard and mouse for both devices.

I'm trying to simply the setup (see attached image diagram) especially the amount of cabling used, but try as I may I can't seem to do so. And with so many types of KVM switches out there I figure there has to be a better KVM, hub, device that can make this easier.

So you see, with so many items involved I am unsure if this is the right place for such a post

Suggestions, adivce?

TS

WorkConnections.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are willing to use the Flip with it's own screen, without sharing the external monitor, Microsoft's Mouse Without Borders will enable the use of your main machine's keyboard and mouse on the Flip. MWB is a program that runs on both your machines. Configuration involves specifying the network names of the machines involved and creating a security key. Also you specify the location of the secondary machine(s) displays relative to the primary machine display, similar to the Window's Extended Desktop. For example, my main machine has a Dell monitor, and my tablet is on a stand in front of and below the monitor. The MWB configuration is set with the tablet 'below' the Dell monitor. When the mouse pointer reaches the bottom of the Dell display, and keep moving in that direction, the software transfers mouse and keyboard focus to the tablet by redirecting their data over the network. Move the mouse up past the top of the tablet display transfers focus back. There is Clipboard support so you can copy on one machine and paste on the other. Since the tablet only has WiFi for network connections, the only cable connected is it's AC adapter.

Mouse Without Borders works really well and is free. There are other similar applications available, but I have not tried them.

Download Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders from Official Microsoft Download Center

twospirits likes this.
  7. fachiri1808

fachiri1808 Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing I'd like to know is if the color gamut on the 2880 x 1620 is as good as the rest of the regular screen, somewhere around 90%-95% of sRGB.

Also, I would like to know how long the batteries last with moderate - heavy usage. I've been eyeing the Thinkpad Yoga, but the screen retention is bothering me and some options I want aren't showing up in the US store, and I'm looking at different options before I spend my money on the Yoga.

What would be a dream is if N-Trig got more support, as well as not having to change the battery, but I guess it's something that I could live with.

Oh, and is it just what design I like better if I'm picking between the Duo and the Flip?

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's an impressive amount of cabling going on there (and a very nicely drawn connections diagram to boot :). However, to reduce the number of headaches, I recommend using Synergy, a software KVM. Set the desktop to be the Server (if that's the machine that's usually on with the kb/mouse plugged in) and the Flip to be the client.

I've used synergy in many different setups and the responsiveness is extremely fast (nearly imperceptible lag) but try it out for yourself. I was pleasantly surprised on my first use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    twospirits likes this.
  9. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have a Flip but some of your questions are relatively general:

0. N-Trig tracking is far superior to Wacom and general has little to no edge tracking issues. Also, it is not susceptible to pen angle and pen distance relative to screen. I have and use both techs. Sometimes I get so frustrated with Wacom I want to break the pen in half. The most annoying is when you try to click on something and as you move the pen closer to screen the cursor shifts so you miss. It then becomes an annoying game of where do you tap the screen to get your cursor to actually hit the point you're trying to click. If you intend to note take and don't care for the additional pressure sensitivity, then N-Trig all the way.

3. Normally batteries aren't upgraded. It's actually the opposite. As hardware becomes more efficient, manufacturers usually decrease the battery capacity. Thus you get lighter, thinner devices.

10. ThornyJohn

ThornyJohn Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to get some input from you current owners of the Sony VAIO Flip (the 15A specifically, though my questions should be generic enough to have the same answer from 13A and 14A owners).Today, I got a chance to stop by a Sony store (in Glendale, CA) and actually play with a VAIO Flip 15A and the digitizer pen:

For starters, there does not seem to be a rotation lock button, though the salesperson who helped me didn't seem to know a lot more than I did about that particular model. Is there a physical rotation lock switch? I've gotten used to having one in the Samsung t700 and Lenovo Twist, and the salesperson's solution (going into Control Panel and disabling rotation there) seemed too much trouble.

Second, the digitizer I tried, while reasonably accurate, seemed very "loose." The tip would sink in noticeably before it actually did anything...it's hard to explain, but it's kind of like when you have a clicker pen and someone took the spring out from inside; the ink cartridge kinds of flops around a bit, even though it still writes okay. I checked to make sure the digitizer housing wasn't partially unscrewed and everything seemed to be firmly attached.

Lastly, in both Sony Paper and Artrage (the two graphical programs they let me try out) there seemed to be noticeable lag at the very beginning when switching tools or brushes. It was like the digitizer's response froze for a second or so, then it hastily drew everything I had done in that last second all at once (and not too accurately either). I don't know whether to blame this on the digitizer, the software programs, or the VAIO itself.

Any input to either allay or confirm my fears before I pull the trigger on a purchase would be appreciated.